Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: looking for support and some answers

Default looking for support and some answers

I know this has probably been addressed before, but with my almost 9mo looking for trouble I don't have time to search Anyway, my baby will be 9mo on Sat. She is a very healthy and active baby and has been from the beginning. She is not all that chunky, but she is very long, about 30 in. Here is the issue, she has NO interest at all in food. I have tried several times and when she gets anything in her mouth she spits it out. Now, this is so weird to me because she is more than happy to put anything she finds on the floor in her mouth. She is great at picking stuff up and putting it in her mouth. As soon as she tastes that it is food she spits it out and then just wants to hold it in her hand. She has recently been to the ped and he did bloodwork on her (for lead and then the usual stuff) and everything came back normal. She is exclusively breastfed. I guess the main reason I am having troubles with this is that I am having some outside pressure. My mom is worried about it, but I guess I should take that with a grain of salt because she is also worried that the baby is growing too fast

I know I shouldn't worry as this child has never been normal in anyway. When I was pg I felt her move *very* early. I can't remember exactly now, but the dr was a little surprised. She was 2 weeks late. She started rolling over at 10 weeks (no kidding, she rolled from her back to her belly and then to her back!). She started crawling before 6 mos and now is close to walking. She also has 8 teeth, and got her first 2 at 3mos.

So, I guess I am just looking for some BTDT as I am feeling a bit down about this today, which I know makes no sense

Thanks!
    Beth

Default Re: looking for support and some answers

So if you let her make a total complete mess with some avocado, what happens? Any get in? Does she have fun?

our job to offer healthy food.. its up to them to eat it.
    Try not to worry.
    http://store.llli.org/public/profile/160

check out this book, your local group might have one in their lending library you can borrow for free..

dr sears also has some good info on feeding kids on his web site
    http://www.askdrsears.com/

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T031900.asp
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T030800.asp

Your baby sounds just fine to me. In fact, she sounds a lot like my DD, who was always very active, walked at 10 months, and didn't have much interest in solids until after her first birthday. She'd eat a Cheerio here and there, but if it came at her on a spoon, forget about it! She would purse her lips and move her head so fast there was no way I was getting anything down her Gerber-hole.

According to my pediatrician, breastmilk alone provides sufficient nutrition up to the age of one year. Until that time, solids are just for experimenting with new tastes and textures, and new moral motor skills. What's more, the transition from needing only milk to needing lots of solids is a gradual one- don't be surprised if breastmilk makes up the majority of your child's diet even after she turns one.

Have you considered doing baby-led solids? It really takes the pressure off. You just sit your child in her high-chair during meals and give her little bits of solid food to play with. Eventually she's going to put some of those bits in her mouth, and discover that she likes them.

gerber hole....
    I like that one.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    So if you let her make a total complete mess with some avocado, what happens? Any get in? Does she have fun?
    Ok, well, I have never let her at it that much I am a little wimpy about a big mess. Whenever I give her stuff I usually have her sit on my lap, but sometimes she is in the highchair. I notice that whenever she puts it in her mouth she just spits it out, so I always figure, why let her make a mess if she isn't going to eat any anyway. I know I need to get over this. Maybe you can help me. What do other mothers do? I can't put a bib on her because all she wants to do is chew on it and then she has no interest in even picking up the food. I just don't want to have to bathe her every time she has solids, her skin is so dry already. Seriously, help me with the logistics here, I know it is great for her development to play with the food, but I am a baby

Thanks for the info, Andrea, I will check out those links and the book.

Momma1, I am doing baby-led solids, in a way, in that I am not spoon feeding her. I put little bits on the table and see what she does with them. I really want her to take the lead. With my first I spoon fed. She started solids at 7 mos but she was totally gung ho. There was *no* food that she didn't like. She is a great eater at age 3, so I am wondering if my baby will not be as good of an eater as she grows.

Beth
    Last edited by milkymom; March 10th, 2008 at 02:24 PM.

I would read the book LLL puts out called MY CHILD WONT EAT. Its a great book. My dd doesnt have this problem but I read the book anyway. He (the author talks about how breastmilk provides PLENTY of nutrition. As mama your job is to just offer the solids. When she is ready she will try them . Its totally normal that she isn't eating yet. Lots of babies have no interest in food till after their first birthday. Just keep offering small pieces and chunks of food and you have done your part ( oh yeah and keep on nursing too)

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!