Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low milk supply at 10 months

Default Low milk supply at 10 months

I have a question regarding my milk supply. My baby was exclusively breastfed for 6 months. Since then, my milk has decreased a lot. I work full time, 5 days per week. She sleeps through the night. On weekdays I breastfeed twice per day and pump 3 times. I am pumping only about 3 ounces total, so she gets supplemented 1-2 bottles per day of formula. I tried reglan but I could not tolerate it (was very very sleepy). She eats (a lot) of solids. On weekends I exclusively breastfeed. She is doing fine in the urine/stool department. Her weight gain was okay until the 9 month visit, where she had only gained 4 ounces in two months. But I am not worried about that, she looks healthy, acts satiated (even on weekends), etc. Here is my question: Pumping has really become so difficult. If I stop pumping, and feed her only twice per day during the week and all day on weekends, will I lose my milk? I have no intention to stop breastfeeding her. We both really love it and I want to keep going for now. I'll be interested to hear any shared experiences, thank you!

Default Re: Low milk supply at 10 months

Quote Originally Posted by jojogmd View Post
    If I stop pumping, and feed her only twice per day during the week and all day on weekends, will I lose my milk? I have no intention to stop breastfeeding her. We both really love it and I want to keep going for now. I'll be interested to hear any shared experiences, thank you!
    I don't think you will lose your milk, but I do think there is a good chance that your milk supply will be lowered if you eliminate those weekday pumping sessions. Remember, your supply equals demand: if you reduce demand, you're going to reduce supply. Your daytime weekend feeding sessions might become a bit frustrating if your baby finds that the milk isn't as abundant as she wants/needs it to be.

That being said, I think there are some moms who do eliminate the workweek pumping sessions and also find that their supply is still sufficient on the weekends. Since you're only pumping 3 oz total during workdays, it seems likely that your milk supply would not be greatly diminished by quitting the pump. Of course, it's impossible to know unless you try it...

Default Re: Low milk supply at 10 months

I find drinking a Nursing Mother's Tea gives my supply a good boost....maybe you could try that? Anyway, I don't think you'll totally dry up if you reduce pumping and such, but I think your supply would almost certainly dip. That would make things a little complicated for your EBF weekends.
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa