Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Moisture in pump tubing

Default Moisture in pump tubing

I use a PISA. I always seem to get "sweat" in my pump tubing. Where does it come from? It even happens when my pump parts are clean and dry from days before. Is it just residual water in the parts or am I doing something wrong?

Now my tubing has what looks like dry water spots inside. Should I get new tubing and start over? just clean and dry it?

I go back to work this Thurs, and I'd like to clear up the problem before I start working.
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Default Re: Moisture in pump tubing

it is my understanding that the tubing from the pump does pull some of the milk into the tubing and into the machine. (this is why women are told not to share pumps or buy used pumps because bodily fluids can be sucked into and then sent out of the machine via the tubing.)

when mine would start to look spotted inside, i would boil them in water along with the rest of the pump pieces to clean them out. then i would hang them to dry so that all of the water would be sure to fall out of them.

if that doesn't work, babies r us should carry replacement tubing in the store. if not, the medela web site makes it very easy to order any replacement part you may need for your machine, even if it is an older model.

i hope this helps!

The tubing does get moisture in it which is fine. Sometimes running the machine a few minutes after you finish pumping will dry it out. If you get milk backed up in the tubing then you need to clean the tubing. Sometimes mold will get in the tubing from the moisture. If that happens clean it well or get new tubing.
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey's Mom View Post
    The tubing does get moisture in it which is fine. Sometimes running the machine a few minutes after you finish pumping will dry it out.
    That's what I do. Just leave it run a few minutes.
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

i have that all the time...not necc to get new tubing...just boil about once a week so you know its "new sweat" and not old that could get moldy!!

oh and this may sound silly..but when i find there is a lot of extra moisture i take the tubing and hold it in the middle and swing it hard and fast like a lasso over my head in my bathroom (where i dont mind the water) this seems to get a lot of the moisture out if i am pressed for time!! my DH but hey...it works
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

katie- that just made me laugh out loud! i have a visual of you swing the tubes!

I had this problem occasionally when pumping. I had an ex cerise ball that came with a little pump. I would detach the tubes, hold one end against the pump and blow the water out that way. It worked really well.

Quote Originally Posted by jkmomof4 View Post
    katie- that just made me laugh out loud! i have a visual of you swing the tubes!
    you me and my DH
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

In addition to doing what the PP suggested, you can finish off by running a little rubbing alcohol through the tubes in the bathroom sink (this is actually realy easy) and then hang to dry. This helps get the last little bit of moisture out.