Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Symptoms of OALD/OS

Default Symptoms of OALD/OS

Hi, my DS is 4.5 months old and EBF. I have had OALD/OS from about 4weeks. I blockfed for a while and it's gotten a little better but I still get engorged and I still spray and have a few letdowns per feeding. About 2.5 weeks ago I started an elimination diet to see if my little guy had any food allergies because we were noticing his eczema getting worse, he had a pretty bad diaper rash that wouldn't go away, he was spitting up quite a bit, and was getting fussier. From reading some other posts it sounds like these are all issues that can arise from OALD/OS as well? After 2 weeks of being dairy, soy, wheat, citrus, tomato, and nut free I don't see a huge improvement. Do you think it's safe to assume that it is an OALD/OS issue instead? Can OALD/OS also worsen eczema?
    Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: Symptoms of OALD/OS

Hi,

While fussiness and spitting up are symptoms of OALD/OS, the diaper rash and the eczema are more likely to be related to allergies. Sometimes the problems can be due to both OS and allergies. Do your breasts leak a lot? Do you feel engorged frequently? Does baby choke/sputter at the breast? When baby pulls off, does he get sprayed in the face with milk? These are all symptoms of OALD/OS. Check out the sticky at the top of this forum for more information.

Have you posted in the allergies forum? It can take 6 weeks or longer for allergens to be completely eliminated from baby's system. Also, it is possible that baby's skin symptoms are because of something other than your milk. Consider fabrics, laundry detergents, diaper creams, lotions, baby oils, etc.

HTH. Hang in there!

Tiana

Default Re: Symptoms of OALD/OS

Do your breasts leak a lot? Do you feel engorged frequently? Does baby choke/sputter at the breast? When baby pulls off, does he get sprayed in the face with milk? These are all symptoms of OALD/OS.

Yes to all of them! I think you are right, it is possibly a combination of both OALD/OS and food sensitivity.