Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Excess Lipase?

Default Excess Lipase?

This afternoon I was giving a bottle of breastmilk which was expressed yesterday and promptly stored in our refridgerator. My little one absolutely refused it and cried (he never does that)! I smelled it and it smelled soapy and sour. So far today I have had to throw out 5oz.
    I was reading about this on kellymom.com so I know you can scald the milk soon after expressing to avoid it tasting soapy or sour.
    But.. Is there any way that I can not have excess levels of lipase?? Is it something I am eating/drinking/doing? He is 2 1/2 months old and this is the first time this has happened.

Default Re: Excess Lipase?

Was the bottle that was used really clean? Hands washed before handling the bottle? Milk stored immediately? Has any other food in your fridge went bad (perhaps the temp is low)?

If you followed all storage guidlines, then unfortunately it is probably excess lipase I have the same problem, so I know it isn't fun to find out...especially since pumping is annoying enough w/o worrying about scalding as well! But, it really doesn't take too long to scald. Someone on the forum suggested using a canning jar and putting that in the pot with water and thats what I do. PM me if you want greater detailed instructions regarding the scalding. Good luck!!

ETA: Have you checked other milk you had stored? Did you thaw out any frozen milk to see if that was also bad smelling or tasting?

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    If you followed all storage guidlines, then unfortunately it is probably excess lipase I have the same problem, so I know it isn't fun to find out...especially since pumping is annoying enough w/o worrying about scalding as well! But, it really doesn't take too long to scald. Someone on the forum suggested using a canning jar and putting that in the pot with water and thats what I do. PM me if you want greater detailed instructions regarding the scalding. Good luck!!

ETA: Have you checked other milk you had stored? Did you thaw out any frozen milk to see if that was also bad smelling or tasting?
    Is there any way to prevent having excess lipase? I googled it and could not find anything at all. It's just so odd because it happened for the first time this week. If I need to scald I will be sure to pm you! I hope I don't have to though. Pumping is such a pain as it is, you know!
    I think the other milk smells ok so far, but I haven't had to give him a bottle yet today because thankfully the bf'ing is going well (so far) today!

I never had enough milk to freeze, so this is all refridgerated milk from only at most 1-2 days prior. So strange.

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

I'm sorry, I don't want this to be a , but what is lipase?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't want this to be a , but what is lipase?
    Here is the article I read on kellymom.com
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html

Excess lipase sucks! I'm not going to explain it scientifically since the article does that, but I found out yesterday when my milk smelled like soap and my LO wouldn't drink it! (Even though it was stored properly and not older than even 1-2 days)..

bump
    Autumn
    Moma to *Silas* 10-30-07