Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Really bad diaper rash?

Default Really bad diaper rash?

Hi everyone,

I wasn't sure if I should post this question here, but here it goes:

For the last couple of days my son has a had a pretty bad diaper rash. He usually never gets rashes anymore, even when I don't put any cream on him. The rash is red and pimply -its look nearly like a cluster of zits. The only thing that i could think of that could have caused it was that on Friday I gave about an ounce of the Gerber Oatmeal with Bananas mixed with water. He's had it before with breastmilk instead without a rash though. I'm not sure if this is just a regular diaper rash or not so I'm not sure if simply putting on diaper rash ointment will help or make it worse. So far it hasn't seemed to help. Should I call the ped?

Thanks ladies!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: Really bad diaper rash?

dr sears has a great page on rashes..
    it hads a pic of a yeast rash check that out you might need to get some lortomin cream. the web site will tell you what to use.
    Hope he is fealing beter soon.
    andrea

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t081400.asp

has he pooped more than usual lately? Our son gets rashes when he has been "going" a lot.
    I don't think putting a rash cream on it would make it worse. You could also bathe him and put a little bit of baking soda in the water to soothe the skin. Don't overdo it tho! Overexposure to the baking soda can cause problems too.

ETA: I actually have read that diaper rash tends to be more of a problem for older babies. I see from your signature that your son is 6.5 months old, not sure if that is up to date. but anyway from what I read diaper rash is most common in babies age 9 - 12 months, which I suspect is related to the eating of solids.
    Last edited by jewelsf; March 9th, 2008 at 09:02 PM.

A couple of things that helped my LO when she had a bad rash from some antibiotics, were-- 1. Lotramin cream ( like the pp mentioned) and 2. baking soda in the bath water. I guess it changes the pH of the water? It helped her a lot.

My dd has the most sensitive skin! We stock pile butt cream! Our dr had rec that when she gets more than the "usual" diaper rash, that we use Zinc Oxide Ointment. You can get this over the counter at the pharmacy. Use it 2 or 3 times a day, and smear it on extra thick before bed. It makes a nice barrier and seems to clear things up super quick. Also, oatmeal baths help with most skin conditions. I would be super super super careful on the baking soda, as it can make some conditions worse in some infants. I always call my pedi anytime we get something "new" or something changes, and looks different than the "norm." That is what they are there for, and never hesitate to call them just to "run things up the flag-pole"
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

Quote Originally Posted by jaki.my.ny View Post
    Hi everyone,

The rash is red and pimply -its look nearly like a cluster of zits.
    My DD got a rash just like this when I introduced mandarin oranges to her. A few months later I tried again with the mandarins and the exact same rash appeared again. I kept cream on it and it went away after several days. It might be the food.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

Default Re: Really bad diaper rash? How to give oatmeal bath?

Wow ladies. Thanks so much! It's amazing how much we learn when we become mommies -who knew I could learn so much about a diaper rash.

How do you give an oatmeal bath though, I'd like to try it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

oatmeal bath
    get an old sock
    stick some oatmeal in it
    then tie the sock in a knot

then when you run the water let it run over the sock..
    sort of like a tea bag...

RE: OATMEAL BATH

Also, Aveeno brand makes a "pre-made" kind for babies. You can get it at the grocery or at Target/WalMart/Meijer. They work well too. Although, they are more expensive than just using a sock as a tea-bag with some oatmeal you most likely already have! HTH
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

Oatmeal baths work awesome. Also, I can not express enough how wonderful the Mustela brand of "Barrier Cream" is - I found it in Babies R Us, it's in a Blue and White tube. There is a whole line of Mustela products, but this is by far the best I have found (I run a daycare, so I've seen many products)....
    Also, by the sounds of the rash (being bumpy) it does sound like a yeast rash rather then a diaper rash - a call to the ped for a script is probably the best thing....good luck!