Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Want to wean 15 month old

Default Want to wean 15 month old

I've previously tried to wean my daughter using the methods from the No Cry Sleep Solution book with no results other than she can nurse for much shorter periods of time.

Currently she nurses only to fall asleep... but she also wakes 3 times per night and nurses each time.

I'm hoping to get more tips and ideas on how to wean her... I'd settle for night weaning only if I can manage to do that but would really prefer to wean her completely. At the moment, she never ever falls asleep unless she nurses first. I want to change this but I don't want it to be a traumatic experience and leaving her to cry is not an option I'm willing to try.

I'm getting a bit frustrated as we've had so many nursing problems and I'm just ready to do this and everytime I post I don't get advice I just get people telling me I should just wait for her to wean naturally.

So, any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Want to wean 15 month old

I am sorry I am not at the point of wanting to wean yet, so I can't speak from experience, so take my advice for what its worth. I understand not wanting your daughter to cry. Is there anyone else who can put her to sleep? a spouse/so? perhaps nurse her before she gets too sleepy, then tell her the booboos(my son's word for my breasts lol) have to go night night. then let the other person sooth her to sleep. that way, if she does cry, she is not alone. I honestly can't think of any other way to night wean. I am sorry. as for the other times, is she attached to ay other thing like a blanket or a stuffed animal? or even a pacifier? I wouldn't normally recommend those things, but it seems that nursing is pretty important to your daughter, and she is going to need lots of mommy love and alternative comfort measures to replace it. honestly, I am just not certain how to do it in a more gentle way. I believe nursing is a two way street and if it is causing you a lot of stress and you are beginning to perhaps resent it/your daughter, than perhaps weaning is the right answer for you two. there, of course are many benefits to child led weaning, so perhaps you could get a lot of support, and perhaps some "you" time away from your daughter to help you deal with the sometimes frustrating side of being needed. its not easy doing it this way, btu if you choose to see it through you won't ever have to worry about her crying it out or what not. this is a tough call. at any rate, we're here fro your support regardless fo your dcision. I am sure I will be in your shoes in another 6 months to a year. *hugs*

Sarah

She doesn't have any favorite things to sleep with, I've spent months tucking stuffed toys and a blanket near her and she doesn't take to them. I've also tried replacing night nursing with a pacifier and she won't have any of that.

She hasn't fallen asleep any other way than to nurse since she was 3 months old (she used to fall asleep in the car before that). Also, my husband has never ever put her to sleep before and I think it will upset her. She gets upset even if I go and take her to said goodnight and she just wants to head to bed to nurse.

We have tried the removal technique which is to just pop her off when she slows her nursing and isn't yet asleep. And then when she returns to nurse I make the angle more awkward so she gives it up again on her own (this frustrates her less than me popping her off several times after that). So... we end up with a couple minutes nursing, then off, then a little break, then she nurses for maybe 20 seconds, off, on, off, maybe 5 times until she goes to sleep (at night).

For naps, she won't accept the removal technique as she will just get mad and become too awake to nap. But, she usually falls asleep nursing within about 5 minutes for a nap.

The odd time, maybe once or twice weekly, she'll wake in the night from a dream and I'll be able to cuddle her back to sleep. I'd like to be able to do that all night rather than nurse.

She is a very smart little girl who is developed beyond her months in all ways except for speech and nursing. I always get how everyone is so surprised she is so young.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/w...echniques.html

Maybe this can help? some ideas on weaning!

here's one on night weaning: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/w...t.html#methods

I will check this site as well, as I am sure they must have some good tips! I really hopetis helps. If nothing else, just know that you have support and are not alone in your venture.

Well, I was out this morning and bought her some new cups (as she learned how to twist and pour out the ones we have). She has taken so strongly to her new cup that I might try it out as a substitute for naptime. Its got a long rubbery straw type piece at the top that is nice and flexible. So, that is what I am going to try for the moment.

I'm not sure she will accept it at nap time as she never accepts substitutes, but I will try. I may also try what one of those pages said and change the environment... maybe I will take her for a walk at naptime instead as she never nurses when out.... so maybe those two things combined may help.... hopefully.

I finished night-weaning my daughter when she was 19 months old; I feel like it's something we worked on almost her whole life!

Anyway, for a while before night-weaning her, she was down to one nursing in the middle of the night. If she woke up at any other time, my husband went to her and got her back to sleep. His techniques included changing her diaper, reading her stories, snuggling with her on the guest bed, and giving her water.

Then, I began timing the middle-of-the-night nursing sessions. I started out letting her nurse for 20 minutes, then cut back by 2 minutes each night, until I got down to 6 minutes, at which point I shortened the nursing by 1 minute each night. I would let her drink water from a sippy cup if she wanted to after I finished nursing her, and I would hold her until she went back to sleep, after which I put her back in her crib. Yes, she did cry for a few minutes when I took her off the breast before she was asleep, but I felt that letting her cry in my arms was different from leaving her to cry by herself.

Anyway, after a few nights of not nursing, she started sleeping through the night more nights than not, and now, a month later, she sleeps through the night most nights.

I think a variation of this technique would also have worked for eliminating the before-bed and before-nap nursing sessions, though for my particular child, the middle-of-the night nursing sessions were easiest, because she was already very sleepy at that time and didn't need nursing so much to help her wind down. (I didn't actually wind up using this technique further, because pregnancy pretty much eliminated my milk supply, leading to a very different situation.)

I hope my story is of some use to you, though of course every child, and every situation, is different!

UPDATE

We've been working on night weaning, to start with, for just over a week. My original goal was to be finished after 2 weeks... but I think it will take a bit longer... but that's ok because I feel like we are actually making some progress this time around.

I've decided to just make nursing more awkward than its worth and it seems to be going pretty well. The first night she complained quite a lot that she couldn't reach comfortably. But every night since she has given up more and more quickly and rolled over with her back against my tummy with her eyes wide open. I tuck my arm around her and she now falls asleep that way. She often chatters a bit or sits up and smiles and I have to lay her back down. But it isn't taking her any longer to fall asleep this way, its just different, sometimes she has fallen asleep faster. So, she is still nursing but its getting shorter and shorter all the time.

For the passed, maybe 3 nights, during one of her night wakings she hasn't tried to nurse at all and would just cuddle back to sleep. So that is better too, she occasionally would do this before but its never happened for multiple days in a row before.

So, I'm feeling very possitive this time around as though we will finally have her weaned. I haven't bothered to start trying to wean her at naptime as I figure that will sort of come on its own. She has had two naps in since we started where she decided to roll over instead of nursing all the way to sleep, that has never ever happened before.

I am hoping in a week or two I might be able to just lay down with her and she won't try to nurse her way to sleep and may start accepting just cuddling off to sleep.