Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Problems with supply/gaining weight

Default Problems with supply/gaining weight

My daughter is almost 7 weeks old now, and we are having some problems.

I've been b/f since day one. She was born at 7 lbs 2 oz, dropped to 6 lbs 4 oz on day 5, and now, well two weeks ago, she was only 6 lbs 10 oz. Then in the span of a week, she lost an ounce. So at almost 7 weeks old, she's only weighing 6 lbs 9 oz. She has never reached her birth weight.

My pedi has been pretty good about this. They say that she's been following a curve stilll so they aren't worried. But when she dropped weight of course they got a little worried. So they told me to offer formula after she eats. Ugh.

So after every feeding, I pump to get whatever hindmilk that I can, sometimes very little, sometimes and ounce and a half, and give her that. If she's still looking for more, then I'll offer formula. Sometimes she'll take another 2 oz of formula! How is that possible? It doesn't seem like her stomach can be that big! And when she's nursing, she is actively sucking for most of the time. If she quits, I pull her off and see if she fusses for more, and then latch her back on. I offer both sides usually. And her feedings are usually around 40 minutes - 20 each side.

I'm now taking fenugreek and blessed thistle, plus my OB prescribed Reglan for me. This will be day four of the Reglan, and I'm not noticing any increase yet. Unless she's taking in more (which is possible), but I can't pump any extra yet.

How long with all these herbs and the Reglan until I notice an increase? I do feel and let down (most of hte time) and I leak sometimes, and I can hear her swallow, so I know that I have milk, and she's getting some, just not how much. I've been meeting with an LC, and we're going to do another weigh/feed/weigh to see what she's taking in now.

My daughter is a happy healthy baby, or at least she looks like it. She smiles constantly. She sleeps great, and she eats every 2-3 hours. I dont' know what I'm doing wrong!

Default Re: Problems with supply/gaining weight

Sorry you are going through this . But it sounds like you are doing the best you can for your LO. How often are you feeding? Also, when you are feeding do you hear her swallowing? Sometimes when my LO got tired, I would kind of tug on the breast a little like I was going to take him off and he would start to suck more vigorously. I am sure a lot of others with much more experience will be here shortly. Good luck and don't beat yourself up so much.
    Proud first time Mom and wife at 40 and loving it. Made it BF to 1 year and going strong.

You're doing such a good job for your baby! Pumping after feeding is hard work. Remember that pumping isn't a good measure of how much milk you make. The pump does not transfer milk as well as a baby.

How many wet and poopy diapers does your LO have? I'm glad to hear that you're working with a LC and a ped. Kudos to your ped for being BF friendly. How did the weigh-in go?

Here's a link for more info for you. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns..._increase.html
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Thumbs up Re: Problems with supply/gaining weight

i had very similar problems my lo didnt regain her birth weight by six weeks and we had to supplement but now i look back and i dont think it was necessary. I supplemented and she still didnt gain what they wanted her to but your doing a good job have you thought about supplementing at the breast with an sns or a lact aid she will continue to stimulate the breast and in turn make more milk and you can supplement with ebm if you have any. talk to you LC about it and mine showed me how to use it and helped me set it up to make sure we got it right. you are doing such a good job dont give up youll get things going in the right direction youre already off to a great start. By the is the diaper out put good?

sucessfully breastfeeding my little princess for 10 months we are absolutely in love I know Im giving her the best and I know she'll grow healthy and strong!!
    Happily Nursing my Toddler

New to and loving that too!!!

My little Sarai loves her cloth
    And I love to them.....yes yet another cloth convert

Quote Originally Posted by chaosandlove View Post
    I've been b/f since day one. She was born at 7 lbs 2 oz, dropped to 6 lbs 4 oz on day 5, and now, well two weeks ago, she was only 6 lbs 10 oz. Then in the span of a week, she lost an ounce. So at almost 7 weeks old, she's only weighing 6 lbs 9 oz. She has never reached her birth weight.

My pedi has been pretty good about this. They say that she's been following a curve stilll so they aren't worried. But when she dropped weight of course they got a little worried. So they told me to offer formula after she eats. Ugh.
    It sounds like your pediatrician is both supportive and concerned.

Could you please tell us a bit about your baby's nursing pattern? What does a typical day look like for her? About how many really wet diapers does your baby have in 24 hours (to get an idea of what "really wet" is, you can pour 3 tablespoons of water in a dry diaper and feel it against a typical wet diaper for your baby). How many poops does your baby have in 24 hours? Size? Color? Is she growing in length and head circumference?

So after every feeding, I pump to get whatever hindmilk that I can, sometimes very little, sometimes and ounce and a half, and give her that. If she's still looking for more, then I'll offer formula. Sometimes she'll take another 2 oz of formula! How is that possible? It doesn't seem like her stomach can be that big! And when she's nursing, she is actively sucking for most of the time. If she quits, I pull her off and see if she fusses for more, and then latch her back on. I offer both sides usually. And her feedings are usually around 40 minutes - 20 each side.
    Have you had a weight check since beginning supplementing with expressed milk and formula?

When you switch sides, is it because she has come off the breast or stopped sucking? Or do you find that you switch after a period of time has passed?

How long with all these herbs and the Reglan until I notice an increase? I do feel and let down (most of hte time) and I leak sometimes, and I can hear her swallow, so I know that I have milk, and she's getting some, just not how much. I've been meeting with an LC, and we're going to do another weigh/feed/weigh to see what she's taking in now.
    With increased milk removal, you should begin to notice an increase within a week.

You mention seeing an IBCLC. What is your IBCLC's opinion? Could you please tell us what you found that your baby was taking in during previous test weighs?

Have you heard of breast compressions? It's a technique that could help your baby take in more milk for her efforts. Here's a resource that explains how to (note the link to videos that show you how): http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

My daughter is a happy healthy baby, or at least she looks like it. She smiles constantly. She sleeps great, and she eats every 2-3 hours. I dont' know what I'm doing wrong!
    You're not doing anything wrong.

Remember that weight is only one factor to measure how well baby is doing. Output, growth in length and head circumference, meeting milestones, and contentment are others. A baby would be expected to see at least some weight gain, moving on her own curve (even if not "on the charts"). So, it is a bit concerning that your baby has not gained any weight yet. You and your baby's health care team will be able to work together to figure this out. Hang in there!

Unhappy Re: Problems with supply/gaining weight

Her wet/poopy diapers are normal, well normal for her. I get 4-6 wet diapers a day, but she has been this way since birth. She's never reached the 6-8 wet diapers a day. Poopy diapers are the yellow/orange seedy ones, and I only get two a day. So output is saying she's pretty good.

I go for my weight check later today.

When we did the weigh/feed/weigh before, she was at 6 lbs 8 oz, and took in an ounce in around a 20 minute feed. Thats a little under what they say she should eat for that weight, which I think was like 1.8 oz. But I pumped after that, and got close to 2 oz still, so she just didn't eat as much. I don't think that feed was a normal feeding. My LC had just brought over the pump that day so we were trying things out.

I normally switch sides after 25 minutes or so. If she quits actively sucking, then I might switch earlier. If she falls asleep, I'll wake her and switch, and then relatch her if she's still interested. And I do compressions to both help her out, and when I'm pumping to help me out.

My LC has said all along that she's just little. She is an incredibly happy baby, smiles at you all the time, she is bright and alert and rarely crying. Thats why I was so shocked with this weight loss. She hadn't changed her attitude at all, and her wet/poopy diapers didn't change either.

A typical day has her nursing 8+ times. I don't know an exact number, but its usually on the inside of 3 hours unless she has a good nap. The last two nights she has started sleeping in four hour blocks, but normally its one four hour, and then every two until I get up. And her nursing sessions are usually around 30-45 minutes.

Its so frustrating. She is this great baby who just isn't gaining weight.

I hear you are taking fenugreek..thats good! But how many are you taking? When I wanted to increase my supply, I was only taking 1 3x a day and didnt see any difference. Then I read that some moms were taking 3 pills, 3x a day and when I did that I saw a great improvement!
    Good luck!
    HTH
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!

With both the fenugreek and blessed thistle, I'm taking 2 four times a day, so 8 total.

I woke up this morning feeling engorged, so that is definetly an improvement. I couldn't pump anymore than normal, but the engorgement hasn't happened in a while. So maybe that will help things.