Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: latching problems...

Unhappy latching problems...

Hi, little advice please... my 3m old baby girl is still having problems latching on and honestly i dont know what to do anymore. it's like there are days that she latches on like a pro and then there days that it feels like she doesnt know what to do, and its really hard to get her to open very wide for her not to hurt me when she latches on, i'm so sore right now that it is starting to scared me to feed her and what i'm dreading more is when she starts getting her teeth.. i wouldnt complain this much if at least she took a bottle but she just refuses to take one, so there no way around it i have to feed her, and if she is in a good mood she wont fight me that much when ever she eats, by the way is this normal, for them to fight you at the breast when ever they have to eat?, sometimes i really feel that it would have been best if i had just given her formula....

p.s. thanks for letting me vent a little....

Default Re: latching problems...

You sound frustrated and I can understand

Have you been to see someone, in person, for them to take a btter look at her latch and what the issue might be? LLL meetings are a great place to start as the leaders can take a look for ya... also a lactation clinic may be near by at a hospital and they can help to. That would be my best/first suggestion.

On the days she won't latch well, how can you best describe what she does.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Hi! Congrats on 3 mos....let's see if we can figure out what's going on.

Can you give us more information about the times when she latches fine AND the problem times?

Are you two getting lots of skin-to-skin contact? Sometimes babywearing can keep your LO from getting unhappy. If you are stressing about certain times when nursing, she may be picking up on it....can you try a relaxing bath or maybe some relaxing music?

Once you work the kinks out, you will come to appreciate your BFing relationship with your LO!! My dd is 7 months and has never even been offered an artificial nipple and will never be given artificial milk, I have way too much pride for that!

You can get through this, give us more info. and we'll see if we can help.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

well i used to sit on the couch with lots of pillows and emily, but then it just got too uncomfortable as she started to get bigger, now i lie down on the bed or in the couch. when she latches on good she eats for about 30 min or so, with no problems at all and she seems pretty happy, but when she doesnt latch on right it hurts right away and nothing i do makes it better, sometimes i take her off right away and try to put her on the right way but if i take too long to put her back on she gets too upset and then wont take my breast. i usually dont stress out when i feed her, but besides this little problem she seems to be growing very healthy, does about 4-6 wet diapers and just 1 dirty diaper about every 3 days, we have her 4th month check up coming up and i'm just curious as to see how much she weights, last appt she was almost 13 lbs, well thanks for listening anyways , i feel much better just writing about it....

It's really bad when you are thinking formula. You must be very frustrated. With me it was a simple problem of positioning. If I forgot and put my hand in the wrong place that would be all it would take to get a bad latch. If she's not liking the flow she's getting (as in not enough because of a bad latch) she'll pull and fuss at the breast. Remember after those rough feedings to put a bit of your own milk on your nipple to help it not become cracked and painful. I agree to have someone check your latch and the way that you are positioning your LO. Moms can get sloppy after awhile if they start to get to comfortable with BFing. An experienced LC perhaps recommended by someone or going to a LLL meeting might help. I know that can be difficult though since LLL meetings may feel too far away (like today is Tuesday and there won't be another meeting until next Monday so you don't think you can make it that long) Maybe call a midwife or someone involved with the natural side of birth who may be able to recommend a good LC to you. It was the best money I ever spent. Saved me a lot of tears and pain. Good Luck!