Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ate shark...then breastfed....worried

Default ate shark...then breastfed....worried

I'm really worried. I ate shark (thought I could have it up to 3 times a month) it really worried me all night, so I checked online for some info about it when I got home. Everything says do not eat ever or avoid altogether while breastfeeding. I already breastfed my daughter and she's bf exclusively...what do I do? I never eat fish...so this is all I've had in the 6 months I've been bfeeding. Will she be okay? Can I continue to breastfeed? Is this as big a deal as it seems?? Can anyone help...please????

Default Re: ate shark...then breastfed....worried

I can understand being concerned.
    How old is your baby?

I have never heard of a warning against eating shark... I'll see what I can do to find a bit more info in a sec.

Edited to say - apparently because I don't eat seafood, I never noticed a recommendation to avoid consumption ... but here's a page that had a bit more info, in case you'd like a bit more.. but I highly doubt it will cause much problem only after one serving.

Here's a link that talks more about why it it's considered a possible issue...

this quote comes from that page:
    In the two long-term studies of children exposed to methylmercury via breastmilk, no adverse effects were documented; in fact, the breastfed children scored better on developmental tests. A study in the Seychelles islands (Grandjean 1995) found that babies who were exposed to methylmercury via their mothers' milk had higher developmental scores than formula fed babies, suggesting that "if methylmercury exposure from human milk had any adverse effect on milestone development in these infants, the effect was compensated for or overruled by advantages associated with nursing." Another study in the Faroe Islands (Jensen 2005) found "marginally better neuropsychological performance" in 7 year olds who had been exposed to methylmercury via breastmilk.

Do be sure to call your pedi on Monday ( or tomorrow if he's available ) to talk with him/her about it.
    Last edited by Number3; March 9th, 2008 at 02:15 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My daughter is 6 months old. It says that shark is a high mercury fish that pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid altogether.

Please see added links/info above. It seems to be a precautionary thing

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

thanks for the info...I will definitely call the dr. to be sure tomorrow. I really appreciate your investigating...

One dose of high-mercury fish will not hurt your baby. Just avoid it in the future.

I'm going to put on my environmentalist hat now and suggest taking shark off the menu for good, regardless of whether or not you are breastfeeding. Sharks live for many years and reproduce slowly, having only a few young at a time, and many populations are threatened by overfishing. It would be pretty sad to wipe out a species for a bowl of shark-fin soup or a fish filet.

Here are some links on shark overfishing:
    http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/sharks.html
    http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0411205307.htm
    http://www.reuters.com/article/scien...19371720070329

i hope you don't mind me riding off this post, but i just had sushi and had a spicy tuna roll, tuna is a large fish, possible mercury?? should i stay away from it from now on?

While one serving of sushi isn't going to hurt you or your baby, in general tuna is high in mercury and definitely one that breastfeeding or pregnant women should eat sparingly. You might want to check out this article from the NY Times, and this guide from the Natural Resources Defense Council on how much canned tuna is safe, and this EPA/FDA factsheet .

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    While one serving of sushi isn't going to hurt you or your baby, in general tuna is high in mercury and definitely one that breastfeeding or pregnant women should eat sparingly. You might want to check out this article from the NY Times, and this guide from the Natural Resources Defense Council on how much canned tuna is safe, and this EPA/FDA factsheet .
    read the article, and wow! that's pretty bad. no more tuna sushi for me! i love my sushi, and stayed away for 9 months throughout pregnancy. have you heard anything about my other favorites, like eel, salmon, halibut, or yellowtail?

Quote Originally Posted by nu.uhm.ma View Post
    read the article, and wow! that's pretty bad. no more tuna sushi for me! i love my sushi, and stayed away for 9 months throughout pregnancy. have you heard anything about my other favorites, like eel, salmon, halibut, or yellowtail?
    Check out this data from the FDA. Salmon is one of the best choices with regard to mercury concentration. Halibut is not the best choice, but certainly not the worst, either. Neither yellowtail nor eel make the list, probably because there are so many different species of fish marketed under those names, so it's really impossible to know what you're eating when you order them. The yellowtail on the menu is probably Butter yellowtail (Seriolina nigrofasciata), but it could also be Yellowtail flounder (Limanda ferruginea), or one of the many other species of fish that share the common name. And the eel- is it a freshwater eel (family Anguillidae) or a conger eel (family Congridae), or something else entirely?

My personal feeling is, when in doubt, stick to the safe choices or order the veggie sushi! Mmm... avocado & cucumber rolls...