Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to add 3rd meal?

Default When to add 3rd meal?

My DD 8 mos already eats solids for lunch (fruit and sometimes cereal if still hungry) and dinner (meats and vegetables). Is it too early to add a breakfast to the menu, I was just thinking cereal. She nurses 6-7 times a day now. TIA

Default Re: When to add 3rd meal?

We added a third meal around 10 months (approximately). Now he's almost 12 months and it's time to add snacks.

Wow! At 10 mths we are still on only 1 meal, maybe i am doing it wrong!
    Mom to Abigail, born May 3rd, 2007 (self-weaned at 27 mths) and Charlotte, born Nov. 24th, 2009. Both reflux babies and EBF. Charlotte weighs 31 lbs at 26 mths.

Well, once the boys started solids, we took a different approach, and we always had them at the table with us for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We always started with breakfast as their first meal when they were learning, since it made sense to us that if they were going to have an allergic reaction to a new food, that we wanted to be awake and not have it happen while we were all sleeping, LOL...but maybe we're worry warts about that...

After breakfast was going well, and by that I mean that lo was eating something after nursing, even though we never tried to make them eat a certain amount of solids, and often it was only a couple of tablespoons full, then we'd also nurse first and offer lunch. And when LO seemed to be eating lunch too, even if it was only a couple of TBS's, then we'd add in dinner.

Our boys were at the table with us though, for mealtimes if they weren't sleeping usually. When they were too young to sit up, they played in a bouncy chair with toys, and when they were old enough to sit up it was around 6 mos. and they started getting some food offered to them. We just wanted them to be involved in our tradition of eating together for meals, and so we involved them, even before they could eat solid food.

Now with our particular kids, they were both eating 3 meals by about the 7.5-8 mos. old range. HOWEVER, we weren't making them eat X amount of food at a time. They always nursed first before any solids for the first 12 mos., and then we'd just offer it to them and if they wanted some, then GREAT, and if not, that was ok too. We really just let the boys lead the way with how much per sitting they wanted to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommie of 2 View Post
    Well, once the boys started solids, we took a different approach, and we always had them at the table with us for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We always started with breakfast as their first meal when they were learning, since it made sense to us that if they were going to have an allergic reaction to a new food, that we wanted to be awake and not have it happen while we were all sleeping, LOL...but maybe we're worry warts about that...

After breakfast was going well, and by that I mean that lo was eating something after nursing, even though we never tried to make them eat a certain amount of solids, and often it was only a couple of tablespoons full, then we'd also nurse first and offer lunch. And when LO seemed to be eating lunch too, even if it was only a couple of TBS's, then we'd add in dinner.

Our boys were at the table with us though, for mealtimes if they weren't sleeping usually. When they were too young to sit up, they played in a bouncy chair with toys, and when they were old enough to sit up it was around 6 mos. and they started getting some food offered to them. We just wanted them to be involved in our tradition of eating together for meals, and so we involved them, even before they could eat solid food.

Now with our particular kids, they were both eating 3 meals by about the 7.5-8 mos. old range. HOWEVER, we weren't making them eat X amount of food at a time. They always nursed first before any solids for the first 12 mos., and then we'd just offer it to them and if they wanted some, then GREAT, and if not, that was ok too. We really just let the boys lead the way with how much per sitting they wanted to eat.
    This is pretty much what we do too. My lo is 9 months and she wants to imitate us.. so if we are eating she wants to eat. I put her in her highchair and offer her food 2-4 times a day when we are eating. Sometimes she eats 1/2 cheerio, sometimes she just throws the food on the floor..., and sometimes she eats a few bites. She is always nursed beforehand too so its not like she is hungry and eating a meal.. so I don't really consider her eating 3 meals a day even though she is in her highchair "eating" 3 times a day. My dd isn't a fan of the spoon either so 99 perent of her solids (which is probably 10% of her diet) she feeds herself... I don't think she would feed herself if she wasn't hungry.... As along as you nurse beforehand I dont think it matters if they eat once or 3 times a day... They are still getting mostly breastmilk anyways.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

i added a 3rd meal at about well you know iam not sure when this is what my 8.5 month old eats a day

breakfast 1 1/2 oz cereal mixed with the same amount of juice
    maybe a snack of gerber puffs with juice in a sippy(sometimes)
    lunch one container of veggies one container of fruit
    maybe a snack of gerber puffs with juice in a sippy(sometimes)
    dinner one container of gerber dinner and one container of fruit

and he nurses about 4 or more times a day and gets up once at night and then again between 4:30 and 6:30 to nurse again.

frist time mommy to christopher
    bf for 8 months and still going strong frist one in my family to !! and loving it !