Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation after lil/no BFing for 2 weeks?

Default Relactation after lil/no BFing for 2 weeks?

My daughter is 3 months and got RSV last month. I nursed thru the RSV but when we took her to the DR for her 2 month shots the DR said he was concerned about the little weight gain (7lbs 5 oz @ birth/8 lbs 10 oz @ 2 months exactly). So I started giving her formula and nursing, too. I'd always nurse first and then give her formula after. My supply went down a lil because she nursed less vigorously and not as long when she was sick. THEN she started taking more formula and less breast milk because she got used to the fast flow of the bottle. I have a pump but it literally took over 20 mins to get even an ounce out of each breast (it's old). Sooooo, I've been giving her JUST bottle for over a week (please don't stone me!) because I just wanted her to gain weight and be happy instead of hungry all the time and fussy. My milk supply has gone down a lot but she wants to nurse still and I thought I'd have dried up by now but I still get drippy sometimes and tried nursing her tonight and she was on each breast for about 5 minutes before getting fussy. Is it too late to relactate and increase my supply again?

Default Re: Relactation after lil/no BFing for 2 weeks?

Hello and ,

Moving this to Relactation so that you can get some replies from other relactating mothers.

Yes! It is absolutely possible to resume breastfeeding after an interruption! The fact that you are still producing some milk, and that your baby wants to breastfeed are steps in the right direction. The best way to begin is to just start nursing your baby as often as she is willing. Check out the sticky at the top of this forum for some other great information to get you started. I am sure some of the wonderful relactating mamas on this board will share their experiences with you, too.

Tiana
    Last edited by LLLTiana; March 9th, 2008 at 04:54 AM. Reason: typos, added info

It definitely isn't too late!

Back in '82, my Mom was told to stop nursing my baby sister (then 3 months old) for medical reasons. My Mom tried to keep her milk supply going, but could not- she had no pump and hand expression didn't work for her. By the time my Mom was given the go-ahead to nurse again, it was 3 months later and her milk was completely gone. But by nursing my sister as much as possible (luckily she would still latch), my Mom was able to bring her milk back, phase out the formula, and nurse until my sis was 18 months old.

I had low supply, and the first suggestion I want to make is to ditch that old pump!!! Go and get yourself a hospital-grade rental pump with properly-sized breast shields. Those suckers can really suck, and the more milk you remove, the faster you're going to get back to a full supply.

And go see a lactation consultant, preferably one with the IBCLC (International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant) credential. She can rent or will know where to get a pump and shields. She can evaluate your baby's latch and suckling effectiveness, and give you tips on how to get her back to the breast.

Since your daughter is developing a preference for the bottle, how about using a Supplemental Nursing System (SNS)? That way you can ditch the bottle and the baby gets all her nutrition at the breast, stimulating your supply while she feeds from the SNS, and learning that hanging out on the breast is really quite nice!

You also might want to try taking a nursing vacation. Shelve all other commitments and cuddle up in bed, and do as much skin-to-skin contact as possible. When you're tired of bed, take a warm bath with your baby. That closeness may inspire her to latch on and feed. You also might want to try co-sleeping (if you're not doing it already) as many babies who won't readily latch during the day enjoy nursing during the night.

Good luck with the relactation process. You can do it!!!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post

And go see a lactation consultant, preferably one with the IBCLC (International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant) credential. She can rent or will know where to get a pump and shields. She can evaluate your baby's latch and suckling effectiveness, and give you tips on how to get her back to the breast.
    I forgot to mention this in my last post to you and thought of it this morning. Then I saw that Momma1 put it and thought I'd still chime in. My friend is a LLL leader in her area. She lives halfway across the country from me and being in touch with her even by phone while I was having major supply issues was sooooo helpful. I also worked with the LC's who work in the hospital where ds was born. They were terrific-always willing, able, and happy to help. DO get in touch with someone.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I definitely agree that it's not too late at all! I also say that a lactation aid like the Lact-Aid or SNS would be your best bet, especially if your LO still nurses at the breast. If she will take to the supplementer, then I think bottles should be done away with altogether. Renting a hospital grade pump is crucial. Pump after the baby feeds for about 10 minutes or until a while after you don't see any milk any more. You may also see best results with compressing the breast while you are pumping. I know I wouldn't get much milk without doing that.

Good luck! I think a healthy and fulfilling nursing relationship is right around the corner for you both.

Thanks for all the replies! I'm so excited! Things are going well now! I think I just need to buy some slow-flow nipples for the bottle cuz she gets frustrated. Luckily her latch is still good and she can nurse for a good 3-4 minutes before she gets frustrated. Thanks again! I'll keep ya'll updated!

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Yeah!!!!!

What's been working for you?
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!