Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asking for help

Default Asking for help

Hi!

Here is my situation:

Had baby girl Jan 10, breastfed successfully after c-section
    -Stopped nursing Feb 3 due to exhaustion and thoughts that I would be getting lots of help and bottle feeding would be easier
    -Realized bottle feeding solved nothing and didn't even get all the help I imagined
    -Started again Feb 25, she did a tiny bit of nursing and I still even had a little milk left!
    -After several days I thought I better do some research to make this transition smoother! After researching I realized it was going to be even harder than I thought. I am committed and very motivated, but at night I do not want to wake up more than I have to because I already have a son who is almost 2 and is quite demanding. I breastfed him for a year and it worked out great.
    So here is what I am doing now:
    -Trying to breastfeed as much as possible
    -Trying to pump after feeding as much as I can
    -Also try to pump about every hour or two during the day (while DH is not home! I don't want him to know how difficult this is because I am afraid he won't be as supportive)
    -Worked my way up to 4 capsules of fenugreek starting today
    -At night she usually gets up twice and will breastfeed, usually just one side though or two if I am lucky for a few minutes. She is starting to do longer, like 5 minutes sometimes.
    -Ordered mothersmilk tea but it will take some time to get here

What else can I do? Should I try to get motilium? If so, how do I get it easily (and legally)? Realistically, how long should this take? She is 8 weeks today.

Thanks!

Default Re: Asking for help

It looks like your doing a GREAT job at getting her back to the breast! It also looks like you've done a lot of research but I thought I'd send you these links just in case you hadn't seen them yet.

Relactation from LLL

Breastfeeding Management by Dr Jack Newman
    (non LLL source)

Help -- My Baby Won't Nurse!
    (non LLL source)

Weaning from formula supplements
    (non LLL source)

It's hard to determine how long it might take, but your the perfect match for getting things back to normal again at the breast. You started breastfeeding, she wasn't away from the breast that long, and you are still early on in your relationship.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Visit LLL of Ashburn PM's Blog!

Thanks. I had not seen two of those links before and they were very helpful. I am using a medela pump in style pump. Is this sufficient or should I rent one from the hospital?

I did not know about how using breast massage and hand expression will increase supply. Hopefully that will help although there does not seem like much to express!

I think renting a hospital grade pump is going to be critical!
    Here is a great link to maximizing milk expression: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    I think renting a hospital grade pump is going to be critical! [/url]
    I agree that a hospital pump is the way to go. Hospital grade pumps are used for mothers of premies starting lactation, mothers who are in your position, or moms who are attempting to lactate because they might be adopting.

The pump you have, while it's very good for working moms, it's really meant for someone who has an established supply.

It CAN be done with the pump you have, but would be much easier with a hospital grade. You can contact a local hospital or Lactation Consultant. You can also talk to a local leader and ask them for info on renting pumps in your area.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

Breastfeeding is an instinctual and natural act, but it is also an art that is learned day by day.

Thanks for all the responses! Pumping is exhausting, but I know I have to do it. I'm actually on the way to the maternity ward tonight since my sister in law just had a baby so I will find out about renting one of theirs.

How long should I be pumping for? And how long after I nurse? I have heard different times...

Pumping is also annoying because that is even less time for me to hold my baby. It is already difficult because my two year old is so demanding for my attention. I am so mad at myself for stopping in the first place. If I only knew then!

Are you getting any milk when you are pumping?
    Usually you want to pump at the very least until you see the milk stop, and try for 5-10 minutes after that to help stimulate your supply.
    Is she latching on good and nursing good with what you've got? I would give the baby priority over the pump if this is the case. Pump when you supplement and she is not nursing for sure.
    Jessica
    LLL Leader

I get btwn 5 - 12 cc depending on which breast and the amount of time btwn the last pumping or feeding. She is bfing longer now. She did 7 minutes on one side and 5 on the other. Afterwards she is still hungry and drinks about 3.5 oz of formula. Sometimes 2oz. So I have a long ways to go. Usually w/out bfing she would drink 3.5-4 oz of formula. Even after bfing when I pump I still get some milk up to a few ccs...

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    I think renting a hospital grade pump is going to be critical!
    Here is a great link to maximizing milk expression: http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html
    This is an awesome videoclip. I wish I had seen this early on!!! Thanks for posting it. I used compression, but I wonder if I could have brought in my milk more quickly if I had used the technique they show/talk about.

Penpal -- Welcome. I can so relate to your comment of not wanting your husband to know how hard you are working on this -- me too! Although I think he figured it out as I basically dropped everything else in my life to do it. But, I did it -- and you can too.

You know, you are the ideal candidate for using motilim. It has been such a short time since you stopped BFing and you had a good supply when you stopped, right? I mean it works anyway, but I think from what Dr. Newman says that it would come back fairly quickly for you. (By quickly I mean weeks, not months). I am certainly NOT advising you to use it. That would be between you and a doctor. However, I am very glad that I did. I think it helped me tremdously. You can order it leagally, without a prescription from South Seas Pharmaceuticals at 1 (877) 271-6591. Read Dr. Newman's information here so you can make an informed decision: www.Asklenore.com

Glad you are here. Keep us posted on all your progress.

Thank you so much for the phone number! I will call them today. I am also renting a hospital grade pump and hopefully get to pick it up this evening!

My supply was more than ample before I stopped and I never pumped once (sigh).

I am laughing about what you said about your DH figuring it out because my house is really falling to pieces. Luckily, he thinks this is due to my 2 year old son. This kind of makes me feel guilty, but hopefully this will all pass soon. The harder I work now the quicker things will return to "normal". I feel more confident based on your responses and support. Thank you.

I have two questions:
    1. Should I stop fenugreek once I get the motilium?
    2. How important is rest in all this? Because I hardly get any sleep.