Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Relactation after lil/no BFing for 2 weeks?

Default Relactation after lil/no BFing for 2 weeks?

My daughter is 3 months and got RSV last month. I nursed thru the RSV but when we took her to the DR for her 2 month shots the DR said he was concerned about the little weight gain (7lbs 5 oz @ birth/8 lbs 10 oz @ 2 months exactly). So I started giving her formula and nursing, too. I'd always nurse first and then give her formula after. My supply went down a lil because she nursed less vigorously and not as long when she was sick. THEN she started taking more formula and less breast milk because she got used to the fast flow of the bottle. I have a pump but it literally took over 20 mins to get even an ounce out of each breast (it's old). Sooooo, I've been giving her JUST bottle for over a week (please don't stone me!) because I just wanted her to gain weight and be happy instead of hungry all the time and fussy. My milk supply has gone down a lot but she wants to nurse still and I thought I'd have dried up by now but I still get drippy sometimes and tried nursing her tonight and she was on each breast for about 5 minutes before getting fussy. Is it too late to relactate and increase my supply again?

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: Relactation after lil/no BFing for 2 weeks?

There are two forums where the mommies who are there would be way more knowledgeable than I: the one on relactation or the one on increasing your supply. Another may be the one on pumping.

That being said, I'm sorry your little one was ill. It must be so scary to go through that and then for the dr. to tell you she wasn't gaining enough. What is her weight now, just out of curiosity?

IMO, you can definitely wean her back onto the breast. For every bottle of formula, go back to nursing first and perhaps even after; get your hands on a good pump, PUMP and then pump some more. This should help increase supply.

That's very encouraging that she is still very interested in nursing. Did you feel a let-down? Did you hear her swallowing?

It sounds to me like it's entirely possible. Again, I'd chat with the mommies in the other forums. I saw this and wanted to send you big s and tell you that it's awesome that you want to go at it again.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Default Re: Relactation after lil/no BFing for 2 weeks?

Thanks for the support! I'll check out the other forums, too.