Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working from home?

Default Working from home?

I've just started working from home and my DS is 12 weeks old. I love being able to be home to nurse him and spend time with him! I just read a post from Mommyto3 whose baby is the same age and said she also works from home (if you read this Mommyto3, please chime in!) If anyone works from home- how do you do it?

I can't seem to get much time to get my work done- my DS doesn't nap for long unless he's laying on me. He plays for a while, but then I feel guilty if I don't play with him sometimes because that's the whole reason I'm staying at home. Ahhhh... I'm supposed to be working about 20 hours at home each week and it ain't happening. Any suggestions from anyone?

Perhaps if I didn't read these boards so much I could work more lol!

Default Re: Working from home?

I work from home too. I am just starting back up. My dd is 12 weeks too. I don't know how I am going to do it either cause my dd won't take long naps and likes to be constantly entertained during the day. I am actually going to have work when she goes to bed at night. It's hard cause I need my rest and she only sleeps 3 hour stretches. I am interested on how others do it too.

I work from home too. It is really hard!! I don't have any time to get anything done except work and baby stuff. I haven't cleaned in over 10 weeks!! What do you all do?

LOL...message boards are a HUGE distraction when one is working at home!!

What sort of work are you doing? Mine is all computer and phone stuff. I have been working from home for 4 years and in that time have given birth to all three of my kids. Soo...I am rather a plethora of working from home with kids ideas! My job is 40 hours a week or more.

If you are doing computer work, do you have a sling or other type of baby wearing apparatus? This is VERY useful. I often have DD in the sling while I am working. Usually this means I have to stand and type, but that is ok with me. You burn more calories while standing anyway . This method lets me work whether she is awake or asleep.

If you need to be on the phone for work, be sure to have a mute button so that you can mute really quick if baby starts to fuss.

Another thing that works well is to sit at the table with your computer and nurse baby on a boppy at nap time. Once he falls asleep, just leave him there on the boppy and you can have both hands free to type or dial the phone or whatever. Baby is still right next to you, in my case usually with her cheek on my bare breast, and will sleep a nice chunk of time. I have accomplished a LOT of work this way.

In home child care is very useful if you can get it. I have a sister who is going to school. She has a 10 month old son so we swap. She comes in and hangs out with my DD and sons one day a week. I am in the house and can nurse or help out whenever I need to. In return I watch her son another day of the week or on a weekend evening so that she can go out with hubby.

Those are all tips for working during daytime hours. Do you have to do your job at any specific time? Mine can be accomplished pretty much 24/7. I have a fabulous husband who will take the kids for an hour or two in the evening if I need to do something urgent. Most of the time, however, I wait until the kids are asleep and then work a few hours before bed. When it was just me and my boys, I would also get up earlier than them and work before they woke up.

Working from home can be wonderful, but at the same time it can be really tough. It often seems like I NEVER stop working. I would not trade it for anything because it gives me so much more time to spend with my kids.

My best piece of advice is to schedule a certain number of work hours and a certain number of family hours for each day. When you have completed your alloted work hours for that day, FORCE yourself to stop and go spend time with your kid(s). Working from home can be tough becuase your job is ALWAYS there. You can't pack up and leave or close a door on it and walk away at the end of the day. You really have to discipline yourself to separate work and family hours. I usually never schedule them exactly, my house does not run on a schedule as I have a 3 year old, a 4 year old and a 12 week old. I just know that I will work for 8 hours each day, whenever they fit in. When kids are awake and not occupied, those are NOT work hours. It has been really tempting to to try and do both at once..but usually one or the other ends up suffering.

K, I just ended up rambling, I hope some of that helps. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Had to pop back on after reading one of the replies and add this:

If you can get any kind of cleaning help...DO IT! Even with my wonderful husband, there are lots of times when the house cleaning suffers. We had a housekeeper once a week for a while, but I know that is too expensive for a lot of people.

I often recommend to people who work from home that they schedule housecleaning time as well. I know it sounds goofy, but you have to tell yourself that certain hours are for certain things or you will just run around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to do everything at once. This is usually very unproductive.

The in home child care can also be useful for giving you time to get cleaning done. Child care is generally less expensive than cleaning help...hmm..how wrong is THAT???

When thinking about the expense of these things, remind yourself of how much you are saving by NOT needing full or part time daycare.

The other thing I recommend is to really sit down and talk with your husbands about your needs. If you are working and doing childcare all day, then odds are that the house cleaning is going to suffer. This means one of two things. Either the house is messy for ever or hubby helps out with kids or cleaning in the evenings and on weekends. If hubby likes to cook, maybe dinner should be his responsibility in order to free up another hour or two for you to work or clean or whatever.

Working from home is great because you get to spend so much time with your kids AND have a paycheck. But it is also tough because of all the other stuff that we need to get done.

Hope that helps!

I work from home 2-3 days a week. I have help though. It is just impossible for me to watch my six month old and facilitate conference calls, or get much else done either. My mother comes one day and a babysitter at the other times.

I have a BreastFriend nursing pillow. This allows me to nurse my DS and work at the same time. A cordless telephone with a headset and a mute button is a must for phone calls!

I really like having the extra time available that would have been spent on commuting, dropping DS off at daycare, getting ready, etc.

Great post!

I'm moving this to working for more replies.

Many mothers find they need a little help getting organized around the house after baby is born. www.flylady.net can get you started on some routines. Last time I was on her website, she had a section of tips for WAHM's.

Some LLL Groups have a copy of her book "Sink Reflections" in their library, too.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

I am a teacher and am heartbroken because I have to work for the insurance because my husband is a tile setter and to get insurance independently would be outrageous. I am wondering if any of you working at home get benefits as well as a salary. Leaving to go to work is the HARDEST thing I have ever done. I don't know that I can have another child simply for this reason. When Liam is three years old, he can attend preschool montessori at the school where I teach, but until then, I am a heartbroken mother.

I get full benefits. My job is a pretty typical corporate america type position. The company allows many of the employees to WFH (work from home) because the teams are very distributed, and often global. However, there are days that I am expected to be on a 6 am conference call with my European coworkers.