Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Don't know when to start

Default Don't know when to start

I would like to get different opinions from everyone on starting solids. My son is 5 months today and EBF. I really don't want to start anything until he is around 9 months. DH has food allergies, so I want to hold off as long as possible. I would like to wait till 12 months, but I don't think DS will. He is already showing interest. Our pedi wanted me to start at 4 months, but I told him NO.

When is a good time?

What made you decide it was time?
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!

Default Re: Don't know when to start

http://community.livejournal.com/par...1/1898199.html

heres a cool link to start with..
    you can start as slowly as you would like...
    my last two were about 9-12 months old
    and had teeth.
    we started with table foods.
    We don't have food allergies in our family so I wasn't super carefull with intoducing things.
    My dd was bothered by cows milk so she didn't get any untill well after she was 2, She was nursing 3-4 times a day at that point so she didn't need any milk suppilment.

Remember you know your baby best!
    beter then any doctor.

A LLLI Resource: When should my baby start solids?

Your baby is starting to get ready for solids when:
    • he is about four months old
    • he becomes more sociable, playing and holding "conversations" with you during a nursing session
    • he has a growth spurt and nurses more frequently for a while
    • he imitates the chewing motions you make whilst eating -- he is practicing!
    You will know that he is really ready to start solids when:
    • he is about six months old
    • he can sit up without any support
    • he continues to be hungry despite more frequent nursing which is unrelated to illness or teething
    • he has lost the tongue-thrusting reflex and does not push solids out of his mouth
    • he can pick up things with his finger and thumb (pincer grasp)
    My baby is showing all the readiness signs (except hunger despite more frequent feedings) right now and really WANTS to eat solids. I really want to hold off, but I'm getting irritated eating with him, because he reaches constantly for food, but I know its best for him to continue to wait.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

We started at 5 months. Although it made for some very cute pictures, that was about all it was good for. We started with the store bought baby cereal, which come to find out is totally unnecessary (and caused ds much constipation) and mixed it with breastmilk. There's really no need from a nutritional standpoint to even start before six months, and after that's even debateable. If I had it to do all over again........

Wait as long as you think your child should and until you're comfortable. In the meantime, arm yourself with information on the least allergenic foods and then the next and so on so you have an arsonal of food that you can have ds try without hardly any worry of a reaction.
    Last edited by mommamags; March 9th, 2008 at 10:02 AM.
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

I think it is a real shame that, although the AAP and other major health organizations strongly recommend that baby NOT be given solids before 6 months, pediatricians still tell parents to start solids at 4 months. I find it shocking that so many doctors are so uninformed.

J