Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 mo & slow weight gain - family driving me crazy

Default 7 mo & slow weight gain - family driving me crazy

My dd is almost 7 mo (next week), and is gaining but very slowly.....she is in the 0 percentile for her age. She weighs about 12 1/2 pounds right now (she was 6lbs. 14 oz at birth) - she goes to the doctor next week to get a flu shot and I'm going to have her weighed in too....
    My family (mom, sisters and in-laws) are driving me crazy. Every time I see them they go on and on about how little she is. They say that the doctor doesn't know everything and that there could be something wrong with my breastmilk or worse, with the baby. I don't know which way to go. I've been hearing that something is wrong for 7 months now, and it's starting to make me 2nd guess myself. She is my 3rd baby, and is definitely the smallest of the three, but the other two were switched to formula at 4 months. She seems to be meeting all of her milestones -
    She sits up (with a pillow behind her), she is very social, babbles non-stop, smiles ALL the time, she's a great sleeper, she's eating cereals and fruits/veggies, the only thing she doesn't really do is roll from her back to her stomach. But she does roll the other way. Should I be concerned? The family is really starting to make me worry now, and making me second guess myself. I feel like maybe I should stop nursing, but this is my last baby - I was determined to make it a year........

Default Re: 7 mo & slow weight gain - family driving me crazy

Should you be concerned? Probably not. If your baby seems healthy and happy to you, then she probably is. You- and not your doc or your mom or your sisters or your in-laws- know her best!!!

Were your other two babies on the petite side, despite the formula? Are you and your husband on the smaller side? If so, then I would just chalk your daughter's size up to genetics.

Your milk is the best thing you can feed your daughter. There's nothing "wrong" with it. Taste it and see! Or express some and leave it in the fridge for a day- you'll see a lovely layer of fatty cream separate out on top of the milk, and that's good stuff when it comes to putting weight on a baby. And your milk isn't just calories- it's also full of antibodies that are boosting your daughter's immune system and keeping her healthy.

However, if you decide that a little more weight might be a good thing, then there are some strategies that might help. Nurse more often, because breastmilk is both calorie-dense and easily digested (formula, on the other hand, is harder to digest). Concentrate on high-calorie but healthy solids- things like avocados and whole-milk yogurt are good starter foods.

Thank you so much, you made me feel much stronger....Deep down my husband and I know that she is fine. It's just hard to keep telling ourselves that when everyone (literally everyone) in our lives is telling us that we're wrong. My oldest has a different dad (who is 6ft. 3 in and 235lbs...) So it's hard to base things off of her as she was big at birth, and has remained so - she is 11 now. My middle child was very small, and we actually had problems with her gaining weight because my supply was very very low....( I had postpartum depression and a LOT of stress in my life). As soon as we put her on formula she began to thrive, however she remains short and tiny. She is now 2 1/2.
    I feel that my supply is strong - I can even pump an extra 5 ounces every day, and I have quite the freezer supply built up. My husband's side of the family has given birth to peanuts. They are very small despite being FF since birth. So I guess it could be genetics on his side - my side doesn't give birth to small babies, according to my sister...ARG - can't pick your family!
    Thanks for the support!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Momma1 View Post
    Should you be concerned? Probably not. If your baby seems healthy and happy to you, then she probably is. You- and not your doc or your mom or your sisters or your in-laws- know her best!!!

Were your other two babies on the petite side, despite the formula? Are you and your husband on the smaller side? If so, then I would just chalk your daughter's size up to genetics.

Your milk is the best thing you can feed your daughter. There's nothing "wrong" with it. Taste it and see! Or express some and leave it in the fridge for a day- you'll see a lovely layer of fatty cream separate out on top of the milk, and that's good stuff when it comes to putting weight on a baby. And your milk isn't just calories- it's also full of antibodies that are boosting your daughter's immune system and keeping her healthy.

However, if you decide that a little more weight might be a good thing, then there are some strategies that might help. Nurse more often, because breastmilk is both calorie-dense and easily digested (formula, on the other hand, is harder to digest). Concentrate on high-calorie but healthy solids- things like avocados and whole-milk yogurt are good starter foods.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I understand - my LO is 11 pounds and is 8 months old! She started out very small - 4 pounds 4 ounces - but, like your LO, is doing well with her milestones.

Do not let anyone bum you out about your sweet little baby. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOUR LO IS SMALL. If you have a healthy baby, who cares?

Why do Americans insist that big and fat = healthy? You'd think we live in a land where food is scarce the way people celebrate hugeness.

I think you may just have to lay down the law and tell them that if it's mentioned one more time, you're going to have to limit time with them.

Good luck!

I just wanted to give you another perspective... I live in India and all the babies in India are very small. They are healthy but very small. I see many babies that are 7 months old, the same weight as yours, and are just fine. I also have a close friend that had a small baby with developmental problems and it was very clear that she was not healthy... All of this is to say that you will know if something is wrong and that there are plenty of healthy babies that size. My husband has started making sarcastic jokes to anyone who tells me I am doing something wrong as a mom... That has helped a little Maybe just tell them that you have heard their side and you do not want to hear about it anymore... Hope that helps. GOod Luck

to put this in perspective I had a friend whose son was off the charts he was so small, and they put him through a myriad of tests as a toddler, and never came up with anything. Now he is a small but perfectly normal in every other way kindergartener. Don't let your family get you all worried.

I understand how families can be. My sis and mom compare my BF LO to my sis FF 3 yr old ALL THE TIME!!! to top it off, my sis and I are two totally different body types and so are our DHs. we produced two different children but they like to sneak in how tiny my lo is. I just respond with "well look at me!" I was only 91lb when i got pregnant! I know my lo is eating enough and gaining 2 lbs every month, so i just ignore them and come up with a good come back when they say stupid things. Just remember, you are the parents, not them!!!

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

It sounds like your doing a wonderful job and your daughter is a happy well-cared for baby. Please don't stop nursing for the sake of your family. Your baby simply needs to be happy and healthy instead of a big, chubby poster baby that meets your family's needs/wants.

If you want to reassure them you could print information from kellymom.com. There are some growth charts specifically designed for breastfeeding babies, boy or girl. Possibly explain that a breastfed baby's growth slows down a lot around this time. If they still want to fuss about how little she is you could always say they're welcome to wait until she big and tall, around two, to visit
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Quote Originally Posted by knm626 View Post
    I understand how families can be. My sis and mom compare my BF LO to my sis FF 3 yr old ALL THE TIME!!! to top it off, my sis and I are two totally different body types and so are our DHs. we produced two different children but they like to sneak in how tiny my lo is. I just respond with "well look at me!" I was only 91lb when i got pregnant! I know my lo is eating enough and gaining 2 lbs every month, so i just ignore them and come up with a good come back when they say stupid things. Just remember, you are the parents, not them!!!

I noticed your LO's name in your siggy - my dd's name is Addison as well

Also keep in mind Breastfed babies grow at a different 'rate' than Formula fed babies.

Here's a little info on those growth charts (of which she isn't right at 0% on these )

Here's a little more info on increasing babies weight gain. It may or may not be something you can alter with the info here. As the previous posters mentioned, it might just be how she "is"

Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.