Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Not eating a much anymore? :(

Default Not eating a much anymore? :(

Hi everyone,

My son is reaching 7 months and is eating less and less. He used to eat every two hours up until he turned 4 months. Since then, I don't know if it was the vaccines or a phase but he started to eat less when breastfeeding or bottle feeding. When he was around 5.5 months he started to eat a little more but he's become so distractable that he barely eats. Even when I take him into a quiet room he wont eat most of the time. Now he eats around 8:30am, 10:30, 12:30, 2:30 and from then on its nappy time, play time..then around 10:30 sleep time. It's between 2:30 and 10:30 that I can barely get him to eat. Is there anything I can do or should I just let him do what he wants?

TIA!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    First time mommy of Robert Nicolas, now 9 whole months(), and loving it!

Default Re: Not eating a much anymore? :(

Is he having enough wet/dirty diapers? Is he still gaining weight? Also, have you introduced him to solid foods? The more solid foods he eats, the less milk he will take in.

I just want to add that babies become pretty sufficient around that age and when at the breast, is getting more than you think. It's normal for them to start to spread out their feedings, yet take in more per feeding. As long as the diapers are good, then I wouldn't worry.

Sarah

Your doing fine. This is par for the course. People spend the 1st 3months asking "When are the Round the Clock feeding going to end????" And then somewhere around 4months, their stomachs get bigger, the become more efficient eaters and someone turns on the whole world! By 7months you literally may have to OFFER OFFER OFFER to get your kid to eat. They are busy rolling around trying to get up on all fours. It's a busy time to be alive. Often during that period between 6&9 months I would spend the portions of time where I was "playing" on floor with him with my shirt off and DJ would do "drive by feedings." IN that we weren't allowed to stop and go sit in a chair and nurse, but if there was a huge boob in his line of sight or he was using me to try and pull into a standing position, than he would grab a few sips here and there while conquering the living room or exploring the laundry on the bed. Keep 'em out and accessible so the baby "remembers" to eat. And as long as you have enough wet diapers, don't worry.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Your doing fine. This is par for the course. People spend the 1st 3months asking "When are the Round the Clock feeding going to end????" And then somewhere around 4months, their stomachs get bigger, the become more efficient eaters and someone turns on the whole world! By 7months you literally may have to OFFER OFFER OFFER to get your kid to eat. They are busy rolling around trying to get up on all fours. It's a busy time to be alive. Often during that period between 6&9 months I would spend the portions of time where I was "playing" on floor with him with my shirt off and DJ would do "drive by feedings." IN that we weren't allowed to stop and go sit in a chair and nurse, but if there was a huge boob in his line of sight or he was using me to try and pull into a standing position, than he would grab a few sips here and there while conquering the living room or exploring the laundry on the bed. Keep 'em out and accessible so the baby "remembers" to eat. And as long as you have enough wet diapers, don't worry.
    It's so funny to picture that! I haven't been counting how many wet diapers he's been having (I'll have to start counting and repost)but he down to only one or two bms a day. Since the last month he went down from 5 bms -not that he's really changed the amount that he's eating -or at least it doesn't seem like it to me.

Ah well..you can really go over a week with no poop and be a ok. It's actually a perk to breastfeeding in my book. It it's not happening yet don't be alarmed when it starts and don't let it be any kind of indicator. But look out for the gas!!

Way too lazy for formula

or you could have one like mine, who poops at least 2 to 3 times per day like clockwork. in fact we've been up for about 15 min and I think we're already due for a second diaper change.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    Ah well..you can really go over a week with no poop and be a ok. It's actually a perk to breastfeeding in my book. It it's not happening yet don't be alarmed when it starts and don't let it be any kind of indicator. But look out for the gas!!
    Perk indeed! The only downfall is that when they do go, boy do they go!!! Bc he might not be going as often but when he does, its a disaster!

I wish my son would space his feedings out a little. He is 5 months and still want to eat every 2 hours, EVEN during the night.

I agree on the diapers. He only poops every 2-4 days, but his gas is and the amount of poop
    Exclusively and every minute of it!!
    SAHM Magic Mama to Rowdy
    Born 10/13/07 ALL NATURAL
    9lbs 10 oz, 21" long

Excited about becoming a LC!!!!!!