Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: General Help: Foods and Safety

Default General Help: Foods and Safety

Hello,

Was wondering if Salmon is okay to eat while breastfeeding...any limits on quantity or type?

Also, after eating something, how long does it take for the baby to eat it and does he taste everything???Thanks!

Breastfeeding Mama afer Mastitis

Karen

Default Re: General Help: Foods and Safety

Salmon is great It's even okay in sushi form! From what I've read, there aren't all those limits during BF as there are during pregnancy. And since salmon is fine during pregnancy then I'd say for sure it's fine during BF HTH!!

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Fish is good for you!
    http://www.breastfeeding123.com/moth...their-infants/

Here's a list of fish to avoid:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo...oods.html#fish

And here's some general info that might help answer your second question (especially see the linked articles near the bottom of the page):
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-diet.html

I have a certain interest in the last part of your question (about whether baby can taste what mama eats). I wish I could find more information on it myself. I took a class on lactation (it was for health care providers), and we talked about how mom's milk is in fact flavored by her diet. This is GREAT. It means that bf babies are more likely to accept a wide variety of solid foods. The instructors said that babies who are ebf are "learning the family table." That means that the food you tend to eat will be familiar to them when they start to eat solids. So, your diet does flavor your milk.

I have heard people say that you must avoid "strong" flavors in your own diet when bf'ing. Not only is that not true, it may be the opposite. A study (may have been from the journal Pediatrics 88: p. 737-744, 1991) that we talked about in my class said that babies suckle more vigorously and take more milk in when mom eats garlic and onions. So think of your baby next time you eat a tasty, garlicky dish!
    Stephanie, mom to Jaime Hoban 11/04/07 and Annika Jayne 12/21/09

We . . . no room in the bed for more!

We love our cloth diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by NursieNurse View Post
    A study (may have been from the journal Pediatrics 88: p. 737-744, 1991) that we talked about in my class said that babies suckle more vigorously and take more milk in when mom eats garlic and onions. So think of your baby next time you eat a tasty, garlicky dish!
    This is so true. After eating boiled crawfish with lots of garlic, cayenne pepper and many other spices, my dd could not nurse enough! She clearly liked the strong flavors. And at 26 months, I can tell you that she has not refused any food to date! Impressive little palate!

To the OP, I'm in agreement with all the PPs and enjoy salmon at least once a week, well I did until my family started boycotting it b/c I cook it too much!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.