Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 weeks/ still every 2 hours

Question 6 weeks/ still every 2 hours

my 6 week old LO is still averaging every 2 hours feeding ( start to start!!) i was told i am doing something wrong and he should at least be 3- 4 hours...especially at night. what do i do?? anxiety multipled by returning to work in 3-4 weeks. weight gain good. wet/ dirties good.
    1st time mom to Joshua, born 1/23/08 and I every minute of it!!!
    Exclusively and mostly !!
    never ends!

Default Re: 6 weeks/ still every 2 hours

First of all, quit listening to those who are telling you something is wrong. Been there with DD and I was in tears so many times. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG!!! This is absolutely normal for some LO's. I was there in the exact situation with DD.

DD was the very same way and never slept through the night (the 4 hours or so for a bf baby) until she was several months old. She ate every two hours on the dot for the first 2 1/2 to 3 months. BM digests in two hours. Some babies can hold out longer and eat with more time in between, but some cannot. I know it is frustrating and difficult and I almost gave up with DD and am so glad I stuck to it. Hopefully your LO will get more time in between feeds soon for you to give yourself a break. I remember when DD gave me 3 hours of straight sleep and I was soooo greatful for that.

to you and it really will get better. Hopefully it will before you go back to work.
    Our blessings from God!
    Kylee was born September, 2006 - 9 lbs. 12 1/2 oz, 21 inches long.
    Kiefer was born January, 2008 - 6 lbs. 14 oz, 19 1/2 inches long.
    He was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy at 12 1/2 months old. Others later discovered.
    And I am even more blessed by being married to my best friend and the most honorable man I've ever known.

"The hand that rocks the cradle rules the world." - Abraham Lincoln

There's definitely nothing wrong with a 6 week old nursing every 2 hours, that's totally fine. Whoever told you that shouldn't be giving breastfeeding advice! They worried you for no reason at all.

For the first 2 months of her life my LO nursed every 45 minutes. It was difficult, but I got through it, and it was smooth sailing from there. Well, almost.
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

My DD is 5 and 1/2 months and she still eats every two hours (or more sometimes) when we're home. If her diaper output is good than your fine I agree, don't listen to anyone... but us

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Cool Re: 6 weeks/ still every 2 hours

Oh wow if you make ur lo go 3 to 4 hours, and he's hungry, one: he'll learn not to trust his instincts that tell him he's hungry, and two: he'll be practically starving!! My lo is 8 weeks old, and we JUST started going 2 and a half hours start to start about a week ago. If the output is ok, then what you're doing is fine! Eventually, the times will be longer, just hang in there!!
    Hi there

I'm fomally milk_milk a SAHM of Donevyn Shane

We never get any housework done
    Thank heavens for the Daddy

We're back to , with the crib attached as a side care... Hooray! He sleeps through the night this way!

Please help make our children a little safer... Sign this petition!

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/859052987

I wouldn't worry about it. 6 weeks is still very early and every 2 hours seems normal. At night, some babies will be going longer stretches by now, but not all babies. hang in there...it gets easier!
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

My LO ate every 2 hours up until recently. She just turned 4 months and has just started to stretch some of her feedings out to every 3 hours. I've tried to delay her from eating just to see if she is "really" hungry, and she bites her hands, tries to eat anything that comes near her mouth, and fusses/cries, so I know that she is really hungry, so I feed her.

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

My LO is 8 months old and still eats every 2 -3 hours. Your LO sounds normal to me!