Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: son weaning self before 12 months

Default son weaning self before 12 months

What do you do when your baby wants to wean before a year? do you give cows milk or formula? my son is only weeks away from turning 1, so I've been giving him cows milk, but I started to wonder if that is the right choice. He has been weaning himself (slowly) for about a month now.
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

Default Re: son weaning self before 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    What do you do when your baby wants to wean before a year? do you give cows milk or formula? my son is only weeks away from turning 1, so I've been giving him cows milk, but I started to wonder if that is the right choice. He has been weaning himself (slowly) for about a month now.
    Hi Jillian,

Could you pump and give him breastmilk in a sippie cup or bottle until after he turns one? Maybe that'll get you through the next few weeks until he at least turns one. The longer you can keep breastmilk in him, the better.

Sarah

Hi Sarah! Thanks for your response. I don't pump becuase the pump rips my skin. Even on a low setting (the lowest I can do and still get milk out), it hurts. My skin is just too sensitive. I have a good pump, but it doesn't seem to matter. I can do it every now and then, but I don't pump enough to really make a difference unless I pump often. So, that's not an option for me. Thanks for the thought, though!
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

I started both my kids on cows milk before they were a year, they were both a little over eleven months. They were almost - but I personally think that most of the rules aren't necessarily hard and fast laws, more guidelines. My DD weaned herself at eight months, she got formula until she was close to a year. My DS is still nursing and gets cows milk occasionally.
    Melissa
    Mom to Jessica (2/7/03) breastfed for 8 months
    Sam (7/6/06) breastfed for three years, five months, two weeks and three days (not that I was counting or anything :-)
    Julianna (4/29/10) struggled thru nursing strike, nipple confusion, thrush, multiple cracks and fissures, a staph infection and then another bout of thrush, but happily nursing away
    www.cohenfamily-melissa.blogspot.com

thanks so much for the help!
    Jillian
    Mommy to ...
    Ella (11/03/04)
    Owen (03/29/07)
    Cate (11/17/08)

How has he been weaning himself? Does he still nurse?

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

Here is a link about babies self weaning before 12 months. This is very rare:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/weaning/babyselfwean.html

Here is a link on using cow milk before 1 year (kind of gives both sides):

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mi...pplements.html
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

Hi there, I've heard its really rare for a baby to truly wean themselves before a year, so I wonder if there's another issue your lo is going through? Is he teething, has a cold, having a nursing strike, etc? My lo has reduced his nursing for all of these reasons, and then some, and sure enough after a couple of days he'll go back to nursing often. As far as the cow's milk, of course bm is best, but if he's close to a year I'm guessing he can physically tolerate cow's milk. I don't think anything magical happens the day he turns a year old or anything. Good luck!
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

My dd had multiple nursing strikes before her first year was up, and she's still happily nursing at 27 months. It is very rare (although it happens occasionally) for a baby to wean before they are a year, and more often its a nursing strike. Cow's milk is not recommended for infants less than a year. It can do damage to their digestive tract. Breastmilk (or formula) should be the primary source of nutrition up to 12 months (according to the American Academy of Pediatrics).

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

12 months, as with many other things, is a guideline. If your LO is just shy of 1 year he should be perfectly capable of handling cow's milk. There is nothing magic that happens on a baby's 1st birthday. However, I do agree with PP's that breastmilk should remain his main source of nutrition until then, or after. Can you hand express milk since you don't respond well to pumping?
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!