Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Water Intake?

Default Water Intake?

I don't know if this is the correct thread to post this on but here it goes:
    I have a excellent supply (I'm blessed) of bm, enough to where my daughter is satisfied and nurses on demand throughout the day, I donate to the mothers milk bank and my sister gets some for her daughter due to she cannot pump enough at her job - I pump once a day in the mornings usually getting 4-5 oz out of one side while she nurses on the other side (cut back to pumping once a day instead of twice, she sleeps through the night now.) Of course everyone hears when breastfeeding to drink plenty of water. I know if I don't get a lot of water in the next morning I won't pump out as much milk. My question is: Can you drink too much water that causes your supply to drop?

Marcie
    Mom of Madeline

Default Re: Water Intake?

I have always wondered about this myself? I found that if I don't drink at least 3 liters of water per day, my supply drops, so usually I drink about 3-4 liters, but I have always wondered if that is too much? I haven't read about it anywhere, but I did here from a poster once who said that too much water can thin out your milk? Please don't quote me on this because I do not know if it is true. My DS is nearly 12 months, and I have also noticed a drop in supply due to teething/period returning, etc.

That is great that you donate milk and are still able to have enough for your daughter. Congrats!!

I'll check back to see if anyone else knows about this??

Default Re: Water Intake?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that wondered about that....hopefully someone on here knows something about it.

Marcie
    Mom of Madeline