Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 mo. old misbehaving at breast

Default 5 mo. old misbehaving at breast

My LO has been clamping down, biting me (she doesn't have teeth yet but it hurts!) and I don't know what to do or why she does it? When I say "no" she just smiles. She thinks its funny! Right now both my breasts are sore b/c I switched her! What can I do?

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Default Re: 5 mo. old misbehaving at breast

Oh, goodness, I know that hurts. A few things come to mind. First, she may be getting ready for teeth to come in. Have you seen any other signs like excessive-more than usual-drooling, red/swollen gums? Next, it sounds like she's doing it for fun, so am I correct in assuming that it's happening at the end of a feeding? (If it's at the beginning, I would think forceful let-down.) As difficult as it may sound, don't react when she does this, as it encourages her to keep doing it. Latch off, say "No bite", and continue if she's not already finished.

This LLLI Faq on biting really helps. Read the whole thing, especially the bullets. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bite.html
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Ouch! This new reaction could be related to teething.

Here's another good resource:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/teeth.html

And another:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-bab...g-manners.html (non-LLL resource)
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; March 8th, 2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Fix link, add qualifier

Quote Originally Posted by mommamags View Post
    Oh, goodness, I know that hurts. A few things come to mind. First, she may be getting ready for teeth to come in. Have you seen any other signs like excessive-more than usual-drooling, red/swollen gums? Next, it sounds like she's doing it for fun, so am I correct in assuming that it's happening at the end of a feeding? (If it's at the beginning, I would think forceful let-down.) As difficult as it may sound, don't react when she does this, as it encourages her to keep doing it. Latch off, say "No bite", and continue if she's not already finished.

This LLLI Faq on biting really helps. Read the whole thing, especially the bullets. http://www.llli.org/FAQ/bite.html
    my DD did the same thing for a while...I did what mommamags suggested and just said "no biting" and took her off every time. At first it seemed like she didn't get it and it was at the end of her meal so I don't think she cared too much, but I don't think she liked how quickly I'd take her off. Anyway, it took a couple of days but she stopped. HTH

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

Quote Originally Posted by JeannieBean View Post
    my DD did the same thing for a while...I did what mommamags suggested and just said "no biting" and took her off every time. At first it seemed like she didn't get it and it was at the end of her meal so I don't think she cared too much, but I don't think she liked how quickly I'd take her off. Anyway, it took a couple of days but she stopped. HTH
    Yeah!!! I"m glad it worked for you!!! Babies have that large learning curve, so repitition is key. We just recently curbed shoulder biting, which began after he stopped biting the neh-nehs (boobs). It has taken a while, but he gets it now that you just can't bite mommy. The most challenging aspect of stopping the biting is not to react. That takes so much restraint and control. It's strange transitioning into having to discipline, even if it's just a little at this point. Boy, do we have our jobs cut out for us or what!?!?!
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

Thanks so much for responding! My internet was down so I couldn't check my messages until now. I will read the articles and taken all of your suggestions as well. Thanks so much!

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)