Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: uneven milk output

Unhappy uneven milk output

Hi everyone, I'm new here.
    I've been breastfeeding my son, who is 19 days old, and so far he is gaining weight nicely and doing well in the diaper dept. in the first few days my nipples were very sore and calloused, but since my milk came in on the 3rd day the callouses went away and the soreness only persists for the first few seconds of each feeding, and for a few minutes afterwards.
    Here's the issue: one of my breasts has always been significantly larger than the other, and since my milk came in the discrepancy has only gotten bigger. I obtained an electric pump b/c my son spent a day in the NICU due to jaundice and have been using it occasionally since, and I noticed that the larger breast produces a lot more milk. A lactation consultant told me to start each feeding on the smaller side to stimulate it more, but that's not always feasible--the bigger side becomes painfully engorged and eventually leaks if I hold out for too long.
    Any advice????

Default Re: uneven milk output

Hi! I can't speak for every one But I definately have always had a breast that's bigger (left) and it definately got bigger in the beginning and became his favorite side early because it wal always full so he had to do less work. Be consistent about giving each breast equal time. But if your pumping for relief (because it's the other boobs turn to go 1st) Only pump enough to relieve the engorgement. If you always start on that side and actually let him feed until full it will continue to produce that much more milk. I found that when I started pumping I could manipulate my breasts to even out by only pumping 1 &1/2 oz on the bigger side and 2 &1/2 to 3 on the other side. It's still the naturally bigger boob but he feeds off both well now and the other side is consistently the one we go to sleep with. It keeps the bigger one from leaking in the night! Hope this helps!

I also have this problem- I try to offer the smaller side first, but, like you said, that's not always possible. I'm not really certain what to tell you!!! Just know that there are others out here who have the same problem!!!

I echo DJ's Mom. The only thing I do different is if dd wakes up more than one time during the night I offer both feeding from the smaller side. I then pump the opposite (larger) side first thing in the a.m. BIG output!! But that helps for milk storage for us and this way I find I'm a little more evened out during the day for her to have both sides equally and no engorgement for me Good luck!!