Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can I tell if I'm having supply issues?

Default How can I tell if I'm having supply issues?

What is the easiest way to tell if I'm having supply issues? I'm doing weight watchers, DD is teething, and she seems to be eating more frequently. She went from eating every 3 hours, to eating every 1.5 to 2 hours. Plus, she has always only nursed from one side, now she is starting to nurse from both sides. Is it because she is hungry, or could it be the teething? Thanks!

Default Re: How can I tell if I'm having supply issues?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html is a very informative page that will help you!

First of all, is your milk supply really low? Often, mothers think that their milk supply is low when it really isn't. If your baby is gaining weight well on breastmilk alone, then you do not have a problem with milk supply.

It's important to note that the feel of the breast, the behavior of your baby, the frequency of nursing, the sensation of let-down, or the amount you pump are not valid ways to determine if you have enough milk for your baby.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Where the Wind Comes Sweepin' Down the Plain

From what I understand, the best way to tell input is to watch her output: diapers. How are her wet and dirty diapers?

At four months, she could be in the beginning stages of teething. She could be demanding more to get your supply up b/c she's eating more liquid nutrition than before. She may go back to eating one side, perhaps not. My ds did eat one at a feeding, then he went back and forth from two sides, then back to one, and now he usually eats two.

One thing is for certain is that babies are always changing the game up on us. Just as soon as we get into a rhythm, as soon as we get our feet beneath us, as we get a handle on things, it's bound to change and they smile as if to say, "I win!"
    **Margaret**(the artist formerly known as mommamags) Mom to red- and curly-headed, blue-eyed, chunky-thighed Michael Thomas, 24 May 2007, 9 lb/22 in. As an infant, he was my little suckling pig. Now he's a total ham!!!

The best way to tell about supply issues would be diaper output and then weight gain. In that order. If your child is teething, there will definitely be more nursing as you release oxcytocin when you nurse and that actually helps them with pain. Also there is a 6 month growth spurt. Wanting to eat more often is not usually and indicator of supply issues. As long as you nurse on demand, you will make enough for your baby to eat. As long as you are getting enough wet diapers, you are fine. And please don't worry when your baby starts to slow in weight gain. Breastfed children generally slow way down right around six months because that is when they "get moving" My child slid 25% from month 4-9. It's completely normal! HTH!

Way too lazy for formula