Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poop question

Default Poop question

DD is eating 4-6 tablespoons of baby food daily. Ever since we introduced baby foods, she is only pooping about once every two to four days, is this normal? I'm just paranoid about it because this child used to poop about 4-6 times daily so this is a HUGE change for her! At first I thought it was just the rice cereal we started her on constipating her but we've cut that out completely for a few weeks now. I have even tried giving her foods that would generally cause someone to go (like peas, pears, peaches, prunes) and still nothing. Should I be worried? How long can she physically go without having a bowel movement?

TIA for any responses!
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

Default Re: Poop question

When she does poop, is it hard and dry?

No, it's about the consistency of peanut butter. But, during the time leading up to the poop, she's straining and everything.
    Amber

Yes, yes, yes.... I have had the same concern!!!! My 26 month old still prefers nursing to solids but I give her solids too. She has gone up to 3 weeks between bowel movements. Right now I am really focused on this issue. If I see no poo for 1 week I give her a liquid suppository called Babylax, by Fleet. It produces poo in under a minute. My dd strains pushing and it is very upsetting. It's like coaching her to give birth. Like your dd's poo, the consistency is that of peanut butter.

When she was exclusively nursing, poo was not an issue. At all. She started solids around 8 months and stopped around 11 months. We resumed around 15 months but still to this day, she is not big on solids. Her growth measurements are still 95% in all areas, always has been.

I'm hoping an experienced LLL leader replies with some years of insight. YOu are the first woman I've heard with this same issue. Thank you for writing. I have been treating this out of intuition and like I previously said, at the week mark I assist. The last 5 bowels have been back and forth -- unassisted, assisted, unassisted, etc.

Just a little more.... I try the prunes, peaches, pears, etc. and get the same results as you -- nothing.

My ped told me to put mineral oil in her OJ. At the time, my dd didn't drink OJ (although she does now). The advice is poor though as mineral oil has no nutritional value whatsoever. Flax oil is a better choice as it has Omega 3. I called him again for more info and let him know about the flax. I got no more info. I ran down the list of all I had tried and he was a bit quiet. Guess he realized I am truly the better advocate for my dd than he. I wasn't trying to alienate his advice but he certainly had none. I was bothered by the fact he seemed to know about flax when I mentioned it.... yet I found this without his help.

In my head I wonder if there is a physical problem but because of the experience thus far with the ped, I hesitate to persue it. My mother offered the knowledge that is can be an alarming feeling to have mass coming out and it may just take adjustment time. Dr. Sears website has some info, do a search on constipation. He advocates assisting with laxatives until the issue resolves. Again, I would love LLL MOM experience!!! (other than the peaches, prunes, etc talk -- I'm beyond that)

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one out there with this problem!! I just don't know if I should be worried or if I should do what you're doing and give her a laxative or something. Right now we're on day four with no poo. Hopefully someone with so advice/experience will chime in soon.
    Amber

Still hoping for some info.

I have try everything: prunes, prunes juice, adult prunes juice (not diluted), mineral oil, now he is on a laxative called myralax he drink it daily for a month in his juice the ped wants him to get used to go every day but still is one day go and one day wont and right know have been 4-5 even 6 days without pooping....

What's going on with our baby’s digestive system??? Which some one can answer to that??? Ped want me to go to a ped. surgeon to take a biopsy of his colon to see if there any problem in there he already had and barium enema not funny things for a baby

Help!!!!

When my dd went three days without pooping, I called the Kaiser Advice Nurse and she said it is totally normal for some breastfed babies (even those not on solids) to poop as infrequently as once a week. My daughter is not on solids (well, until a few hours ago) and she poops about every two or three days.
    Three weeks sounds like a [I]really[I] long time to go between poops, but I wouldn't worry about once a week.