Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best Supply Increase Tips!??!?

Red face Best Supply Increase Tips!??!?

Also having a weight gain issue. DS has only gained 1lb 5oz since his 2mo checkup. Currently 11lbs 5oz from 10lbs. Ped isn't TOO concerned right now (DS has had cold and currently has mild ear infection), but says we'll give it another 2 months and see what happens.

I haven't noticed any problems with our feedings until recently. Originally, DS would only nurse 1 side with feeling satisfied...feeding every 3-4hrs.

I don't know if it's a combination of stress/lack of sleep or what being the cause...but I do *feel* I could have a supply issue. The past week DS doesn't seem satisifed after feedings (offer both sides) nor pumping output "normal" (yes, I know pumping isn't a good way to detect an issue but I used to get 4oz or so from one breast in the morn--now barely 2oz)

I've recently upped my water intake and will try oatmeal for breakfast. I visited the health food store and the clerk said this herbal pill had been a big seller (combo of fenugreek and other herbs...can't think of the name, though); many women returning for a second bottle saying how great it worked.

Anways, any tips would be WONDERFUL!

Default Re: Best Supply Increase Tips!??!?

How old is your baby now?

Your baby is gaining weight, and thats great. During an ear infection and other sicknesses sometimes babies lose weight, or just don't gain as fast.

Have you been watching and counting your baby's wet and dirty diapers? It is an good indicator of whats going in

Check out the Increasing Your Milk forum for other great ideas and support if you find that the increased fluids, oatmeal, and fenugreek don't help.

Good luck!

Lyn

PS Did you by chance catch the cold that your DS has? Supply can drop when your body is fighting something, but usually bounces right back when you are well again.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Lyn,

Jackson is 4 months. I haven't been counting but I've noticed he's had plenty of dirty and wet diapers. I keep needing to buy more.

I have yet to get his cold (thank goodness). And for the most part, he has a real mild case of it. Thank goodness.

My absolute best tip for supply is the one you probably already know-- more nursing! That's the surest most solid way to make sure you're making enough. Pumping more can help, and so can herbs, but it's never as good as their mouths actually nursing. Don't feel too surprised that the amount you're able to pump has decreased over time. This is so common it's not even funny. I was never able to get more than .5 ounces from both breasts combined, and it steadily went down to a few teaspoons. I wouldn't be surprised if I dug my dusty pump out of the basement and couldn't get a drop right now. But there's plenty of milk in there, that I know for sure.

Also not so good for figuring out where you're "at" milk-wise is the baby's behavior. They go through fussy periods and growth spurts periodically for the whole first year and beyond. Bobbing off and on the breast is something I think almost everyone goes through, especially when babies start discovering their hands, the outside world, noises, etc. It is frustrating but passes, then comes back again, then passes, then...

Any time there is an illness, it temporarily interferes with growth. Some of the energy that would be devoted to growth gets temporarily diverted to fighting off the illness. Nothing to be overly concerned about, it's normal, just something to take into consideration. So actually I think 1.5 pounds in 2 months isn't too shabby. Believe me most doctors are very quick to get worried. Unfortunately they are far more familiar with the excessive weight gain that FF babies display than with the more modest but healthier-in-the-long-term way BF babies grow. How was length, btw? It can be a better indicator than weight sometimes.

And how are his dipes? Is he making plenty of wets and a good number of poops? How old is he exactly?
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

Oh okay, we cross-posted, he's 4 months. That's a prime time for growth spurts. Really that sounds like what's going on. I would say, follow his lead and if there are plenty of dipes then everything is a-okay. If it makes you feel better to take a galactogogue, then go for it, but really you don't have to go out of your way like that. Just nurse as much as possible. It will all come out in the wash, and this time will almost certainly pass.

HTH!
    Erin (32), breastfeeding CLW, knitting cloth-diapering crocheting, heirloom tomato-growing philosophizing poker-playing feminist artist mama to my 19 month old daughter! Baby #2 due January 2009.

I totally agree w/ google316...putting baby to breast is the best way to increase supply

I've used fenugreek to help increase my supply before and also drinking more water helps for me. I wouldn't worry too much though. If your doc was concerned, s/he wouldn't wait two more months to see your LO again.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Thanks ladies!

His growth height-wise is GREAT! 24.5 inches!! I think that is why the Ped isn't too concerned as he's growing great in that extent...

Likewise, I'm going to keep nursing him as often as I can. For instance, currently, he's been asleep for about 2hrs so I'm gonna pump vs. waiting for him to wake. I know pumping isn't THE greatest thing but I figure it's better than waiting for him.
    Last edited by autumnbaby07; March 7th, 2008 at 09:39 PM. Reason: misspelling

MIne was like that...super long but kinda skinny. I figure he was just growing so fast lengthwise that the fat was just spreading out. Well, in the past month or so his bulk has finally caught up to his length. It feels like it just happened overnight (but not literally)! Anyway, yep, putting baby to the breast, and making sure you get lots of rest. Another herb in that supplement migh tbe Blessed Thistle. Dr. Newman says they work best when taken together. Anyway, that stuff's great too! I also drink a nursing tea when DS's having a growth spurt, and that works wonders. Oatmeal's great, and drinking water is always a good thing! Sounds like you've gotten some great advice so far!
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

I have heard Dill helps. I have been using it since I started BFing.

My LO is also 4 months and last week when I took him to the Ped, he was 12.5. She said the he was fine on his weight.

My best advice for increasing: lot of fluids, oatmeal, and PEANUTs!!!.