Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I Am Getting Bitten!!!

Exclamation I Am Getting Bitten!!!

Hi everyone:

I DON"T want at all to stop breastfeeding, it was hard to do it and we are enjoying it to much BUT my princess has started biting me. She did it once but Dr. Sears tecnic of pushing the brest so she could asociate biting with no breeding and she did stop biting. A week ago she start playing with her sippi cap and drinking some water (she is almost 8 months) so I think that my confuse her so I stopped giving her the sippi cap and start pushing my breast thours her nose when she bites but she thinks I am playing and keep doing it. I am AFRAID of breastfeeding and during the day I am not doing it as often. I wait til she is sleepy and feed her but my breast are huge and sometimes I cry because I know she wants to BF but she bites me so I don't BF her and give her solids or somithing else til I feel save to BF....

Any advice??? really ...ANY!!!
    THANXXXX
    Super happily married to my soulmate Matthew and PROUD mommy to my baby girl Gaia Denali (9th July 2007).

I love to

Default Re: I Am Getting Bitten!!!

When during the nursing session is she biting? Is she teething (often a cause of biting)? There are some different things you can try. If she's biting due to teething, you can give her something to chew on before nursing to help her gums feel better, then if she bites while nursing, take her off, calmly tell her no biting mama, you may bite this and give her the teething object again. Some moms have good luck with telling their lo's no biting, putting them on the floor, and walking away for a minute. Being ready with a finger to put between her teeth to protect your breast can also help. I had to ignore the nips for a while b/c DS bit more when I had any kind of reaction. Sometimes you can also watch their jaw/face for a slight change before biting. I have also heard that sometimes engaging your lo by talking/singing during nursing can help. Give some of these things a try and let us know how they are working. Biting is often short lived and you can get through this!

My dd was a biter too and it's tough!! I would immediately take her off and sternly tell her "No biting, that hurts mommy" then end that nursing session. Sometimes I would have to go pump because I too had an enormous amount of milk. It lasted for a couple months but I just suffered through it and it has gotten much better. My dd is now 27mos old and still nurses without biting. Good luck!!

Cathy
    Wife for 11 yrs and counting
    Mom to ds (12/96) bf 11mos
    dd (9/98) bf 6mos
    dd (11/05) bf 27mos and counting!

Thumbs up Re: I Am Getting Bitten!!!

Thank you so much....I read an article here in LLL about this and I am keeping my baby close to my breast while feeding so she doesn't slide to bite the nipple ..is working but I am in stress. She bit me hard this morning ( I got a bubu ) But the rest of the day she didn't she tryed but I put her away say mommi is not for biting and she cryed. I don't understand if she wants to BF so badly why does she bit...It is painful to have what she wants and be afraid of the cutest biter ever. Singing while BF worked to!...I will keep you update on progress...please any new advice is wellcome. I will wait til this pass....thank u 4 ur support!

Super happily married to my soulmate Matthew and PROUD mommy to my baby girl Gaia Denali (9th July 2007).

I love to

I know it is hard when you are in pain, but try to remember that she doesn't understand what she's doing. She knows she's getting a reaction out of mommy, but doesn't understand that it hurts you in the way you would understand if someone you love said something hurt them. If she's teething, she just knows that her teeth hurt and biting down helps with that. Or, she's experimenting with cause and effect--if I bite, then what happens? Glad to hear the singing worked!