Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning

Default Weaning

My little one is 7 months old I want her to be weaned at the age of one when should I start and how?

Default Re: Weaning

Hello,

Sorry I can't speak from experience but many mom's I have talked to said there lo naturally weaned themselves as they introduced more solids. I think I may depend also if you co-sleep or give any bottles. Experts say to start weaning from the feeding the child likes least and do that for a couple weeks and continue this until they are weaned. It is much easier to read about all this but doing it is another story.

Good Luck

It is healthiest if you can continue to nurse until your baby is at least 12 mos. The AAP recommends to continue at least to 12 mos, and as long thereafter as mutually desired.

Baby's nutrition should be predominantly breastmilk(or formula if breastmilk isn't available) for the first year as well....even after they start solids, they should be taking in more breastmilk than solids.

If you don't want to continue to breastfeed, and want to wean prior to 1 year of age, then you'll need to add formula to the mix at least until baby's a year old.

If you want specific weaning tips, check out the LLL main page under Resources. There are tons of really helpful tips there.

I didn't start weaning until around 11 months and I still followed my son's lead. He was still nursing between 3-4 times a day, having diluted juice, and three meals. He is now completely weaned as of two weeks ago, he is 13.5 months old.