Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Introducing a cup

Default Introducing a cup

Just looking for advice. When did you introduce a cup? Are sippy cups good, or is it better to wait & introduce a regular cup? Any suggests on the type/brand of cup or sippy cup?
    Thanks,
    Sarah

Default Re: Introducing a cup

I think we let DS start playing with a sippy cup around 8-10 months. Many people say you can just wait and introduce a regular cup when they are older, but I liked that he was able to have some water with his food, and suck/chew on the cup and drop it without making a huge mess To this day he's not really that interested in whatever's in the cup, he just likes to have one because we have them!

The type of sippy cup that works best really depends on the baby (like pacis). DS prefers the ones with very soft silicone valves that he can chew, but some babies prefer the harder plastic lids. I would get a few different kinds and let your LO experiment!
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

WE started with a cup around 6 months.. just for fun. We would let her play with it at meals. She is 9 months now and drinks probably 2-3 oz of water with solids a day. I do have to hold the cup up for her.. she hasn't figured out how to tilt it up. I just bought the cheapest sippy's at Target. They are not spill proof but she only uses the cup in the kitchen so its fine.

Married my man Michael 5/12/2006
    Keira Joyce 6/1/07 Breastfed for 22 months Peanut Allergy- Outgrown 11/2010!!!!
    Israel Benedict 10/10/09- Breastfed for 27 months ( 9 months tandem with his sister)
    Nairi Anne 4/1/2011 still nursing at 14 months
    My Daily Blog
    Cloth diapers on the bum!

my 7 month old likes to drink water out of a glass. That is his newest trick!!! obviously he's not holding the glass himself.

We started our LO on a sippy cup when she started teething (about 7 months), but all she still does with it is chew on it. She is actually better at drinking out of a regular cup when I hold it up to her. If you choose sippy I recommend the soft tops. They are nicer to chew on and suck on for beginners.

We started a sippy cup with DD around 6-7 months. We use the Nuby cups with the straw not the spout. I read somewhere that breastfed babies know how to suck (through a straw) and have trouble with tilting up a regular sippy (as a bottle fed baby would). If there is any truth to that, I don't know. But DD was sucking away the very first time I gave it to her. She usually spits the water back out, but thats ok, she's getting the hang of it. We got her a regular sippy with a soft spout for her Easter basket, so we'll start working on that soon.

We had the same experience with the straw. My son would not take a sippy cup except as a toy. But now I give him these Gerber cups with a soft straw and he loves to drink water that way! He also likes to try to drink from a cup when he sees us doing it but this is very messy!

I use a sippy cup to get a couple ounces of water in per day with his solid meals. He really takes in very little, but I read (or heard from the ped.) that he needs to get used to the taste of water at least, so offering him a little with meals is a good idea. I don't do it often as it has no nutritional value, but I agree he should get used to drinking something other than sweet bm and an ounce or two to wash down his lunch seems good. We tried the soft tip but that spilled everywhere, and so we use the hard tip that he sucks on and likes, and there's no spills. I hold it up for him. Recently I actually started also offering him some water in a regular cup, and its really cute . He dives in for it, half of it falls out of his mouth and all over the place, but he loves it. HTH
    I'm proud to be first woman in my family to breastfeed!
    cloth diapering convert!
    Loving the homemade baby food!

I've been trying the sippy cup thing for 3 months and all he wanted to do was chew on it. This weekend I discovered the Nuby sippy cups. I them!!!!! There is no valve, which is great, and he if he chews it than it opens the spout and he gets some water. It is the first cup that he will drink from.