Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What should the poop look like?

Default What should the poop look like?

Hi ~ I am a 1st time mom so ALL of this is so new to me. My son will be 6 months old on the 17th & his pedi gave us the okay a while back to start on solids. We waited because my baby has a milk/soy protein intoelrance ~ his poops were smelly, mucousy, green & had a tiny spot of blood in them 2x's. Anyway, since then I have been on a strict diet of no soy/dairy/citrus/berries/ and eat very little wheat. He began feeling better ~ but his greenish poop persisted ~ but none of the other symptoms were there (no fussiness/gas/diarrhea/etc.) so 3 days ago we started him on the Earth's Best Whole Grain Rice Cereal ~ 1 tbs. mixed with bm ~ & he loves it! He has pooped once per day (which is nice, considering that when the MSPI was at its worst he was going 4-6 times per day).... anyway, my question is... WHAT should do poop be like for a bm baby that started solids? I am not sure if his is "normal" & just wanted to make sure that he wasn't having a "reaction" to the cereal. The last 2 poops he had were ~ yellow/greenish, very "wet" & there was one or 2 big "globs" in the diaper ~ it wasn't mucous that I know of, just this glob of poop! Sorry ~ but I don't know how else to descirbe it. There are little blackish tiny "strings" which I believe are "normal" ~ and overall it just looks very wet/moist ~ but not runny. I hope this makes sense! Any advice/feedback is GREATLY appreciated!

Beth

Default Re: What should the poop look like?

Sounds normal and healthy to me.

Even the green "globs?" I guess I just figured with solid ~ the poop would appear more solid, guess not! Yesterday he pooped again, and again it was the greenish with the globs ~ but this time more of the globs. He is getting a little more fussy & at night he seems uncomfortable ~ but that could be due to teething. I noticed this morning he was gassy ~ so, I guess I just want to make sure that the globs are within the "normal" of what to expect.

Thanks!

Beth

If he's fussy and uncomfortable, that could be due to teething, but it could also be a reaction to something he's eating. I'd definately keep an eye on that and try to cut out any new foods that may be causing it.

As to poop colour...it really depends on what you're feeding him. If he eats peas or green beans, for example, expect green poop.

I'm not sure what you mean by globs or having more globs??

The only things that I have introduced so far is 5 days of the whole grain rice cereal mixed with bm & yesterday & today he had some bananas in the am & the cereal in the pm ~ so nothing green... but I read somewhere that iron can cause green stools ~ which I know the cereal has, so maybe that is it? He doesn't seem overly fussy all day ~ just in spurts & we can usually "entertain him" & he'll stop, so am I correct in assuming that it isn't him feeling uncomfortable/food related? I assume that if he was in pain or if it was food related it would be within an hour or 2 of eating & he wouldn't be able to be consoled, right?

As for the green "globs" ~ I don't quite now how to describe it ~ sorry for TMI but this is really the only way I know how to descirbe it ~ remember the green "gack" or the blob that use to be sold in toy stores? Kind of like that... KWIM? Just patches of green goop!

Thanks for any help! I greatly appreciate it!

Beth

Do you mean mucous? Like snot in his poop?

I am not really a poop expert; maybe someone else can help more?

No, it didn't really look like mucous (we went through that when we learned he was intolerant of dairy/soy) ~ it just looks goopey! But, I am assuming that all is well, as his frequency of going has not increased & now his poop is beginning to change ~ not really goopy anymore & that "wet" looking... it is looking more "textured" ~ if that makes sense It kind of looks more clay like... and not as green. We also introduced bananas a couple of days ago ~ so that may be why also.

So, I am assuming that the clay like consistency is fine as well.... as, again, his frequency hasn't increased & I assume that is one of the signs of knowing he is intolerant... & he isn't overly fussy.

Thank you so much for your help! I greatly appreciate it!

Beth