Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk question

Default Milk question

Is 8 mo. too young to introduce a bottle of organic cows milk? My milk has started to dry up and we are not wanting to do formula. Thanks!

Default Re: Milk question

In general, I think formula beats cow's milk (even organic cow's milk) when the baby is under 1 year. They do make organic formulas, from organic milk. However, perhaps you don't need either cow's milk or formula.

Are you sure your milk supply has dwindled? And, if so, how do you know? Are you pregnant, or have you started a hormonal birth control pill? The reason I ask is that a lot of moms get tricked into thinking that their milk supply is low when it is actually just fine. Occasionally a mom's milk supply really will go south, but there is usually a solution to the problem!

Thanks! What makes me think that my milk is drying is he seems to be really fussy at the breast. (I'm not pregnant & I do not use any form of BC) He will nurse for a few minutes (maybe 3) and then start tugging. All the while, I don't hear him swallowing much at all. It has also been a few days since I have felt my milk let down. He pulls and tugs and then eventually throws a big fit and lets go. He's eating mostly solid foods (rice cereal & baby food) so I was nursing like 3-4x during the day and once in the middle of the night. I haven't changed anything in that schedule...there might be a day where we miss a feeding, but nothing that would concern me. Like I said, it's just been in the last 3-4 days that I've noticed he's not really getting much. My middle of the night feeding usually just makes him more mad than anything else. I would LOVE to build my milk up and not have to worry about supplementing at all. I wanted to make it to a year old and it makes me upset that I might not reach that goal. Is it still possible to increase my milk? If so, how? Do I need to nurse him more frequently during the day? My husband and I would love to avoid the cost of formula (and yes, we would buy the organic formula). He just always seems to be hungry!!!!

4-5 times a day does not seem like enough for an 8 month old. I don't know where other moms are, but maybe you should try to add more feedings and maybe a pumping in between. This would help build up your supply. I'm sure there's other people who could give you better advice. My supply seemed to dwindle at about that age, too. I couldn't (and still can't) pump enough, but when he's with me all day, I have enough for him by nursing very often.
    Mom of 1, AJ born 4/12/07

What does a typical day (24 hours) look like, as far as your feedings - both nursing and solids - look like? How many poops and pees are you seeing in a 24 hour perdiod. I agree in that your supply is problably fine .... THey change behaviours as they grow as does your bodies response to nursing... we'll work with you to reach your goal

Have you tried calling a leader or IBCLC in your area? (link in my siggy)
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.