Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeling like a milk machine

Default Feeling like a milk machine

Hi Everybody,
    My dd is almost 7 1/2 months old. I nurse her whenever she wants it.
    I am increasingly feeling like my ONLY interactions with my dd are nursing. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE nursing her. It is precious time that really
    means a lot to me and I KNOW I'm going to miss it when we are done.

However, my little darling is getting more and more social and really
    enjoys playing games. It is a bit concerning to me that she CONSTANTLY
    stops the game we are playing to lunge for my breasts. As soon as I
    pick her up, she goes right for the milk. (Even when she has just eaten and I know she's not still hungry.) Sometimes, as soon as I
    walk into a room, she starts screaming and pulling for me to nurse
    her. Now, I know that she is not starving. Many of the times she
    nurses, she pulls off after only a minute and frequently spits up what
    she just ate, which I suspect is because she was already full. She
    even bruised the top of my breast last week, trying desperately to
    pull my breast out of my shirt. (She had JUST finished nursing.)
    I know that nursing is a huge source of comfort for her, which I am glad of. My question is, should I be doing more to make sure that she gets a good feeding in a single sitting and doesn't stop doing other things to snack constantly? Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I can't help but feel like I'm just the milk machine to her and, while I know how important the nursing it, I sometimes wish I could cuddle or play with her without her lunging for me. Is this only going to get worse as she gets older? Am I doing something (without realizing it) to encourage this behavior? Should I be
    limiting her nursing? Please help!!
    Thanks!

Default Re: Feeling like a milk machine

Quote Originally Posted by nycmak View Post
    I am increasingly feeling like my ONLY interactions with my dd are nursing....my little darling is getting more and more social and really enjoys playing games. It is a bit concerning to me that she CONSTANTLY stops the game we are playing to lunge for my breasts. As soon as I pick her up, she goes right for the milk. (Even when she has just eaten and I know she's not still hungry.) Sometimes, as soon as I
    walk into a room, she starts screaming and pulling for me to nurse
    her.
    This is normal. If it's bothersome, perhaps try to distract her. Quickly change activities. "Oh! Look at the doggie." "Let's go outside and watch the rain." You get the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by nycmak View Post
    should I be doing more to make sure that she gets a good feeding in a single sitting and doesn't stop doing other things to snack constantly? Has anyone else experienced anything like this? I can't help but feel like I'm just the milk machine to her and, while I know how important the nursing it, I sometimes wish I could cuddle or play with her without her lunging for me. Is this only going to get worse as she gets older? Am I doing something (without realizing it) to encourage this behavior? Should I be
    limiting her nursing? Please help!!
    You're not doing anything to encourage her, mama. You're meeting her needs, whatever they are.

You might find this resource helpful and reassuring:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-bab...g-manners.html

Aside from that, know that this too shall pass. Babies often nurse more frequently as they are learning new skills. Sometimes it's not so much for nutrition as it is for reconnecting with mom.