Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cat scratch fever!

Default cat scratch fever!

My DD has always had sharp little finger nails. No matter how I trim and file and buff, they are just like little razors. Lately, she has taken to using them on my breasts and belly when nursing. She scratches (draws the fingers across my skin), gouges (digs fingernail first into flesh and then pinches - particularly nice on the areola!), and rips (takes one finger nail and does a quick, skin removing gouge). I look like I've been attacked by a cat! I'm trying to say "No, don't scratch!" (It worked so well with my hair - "No, don't pull!" and now she doesn't pull my hair anymore) But it isn't working fast enough for me! Not expecting any solutions, but anyone else have this problem? She's six months now - when can I hope for it to end? Hope is all I have...

Oh, and this cracks me up. She's like a little pump sometimes with her arm. She reaches out and grabs my clothes and does rapid, hard pumping pulls 1, 2, 3, 4 and repeat! It's hilarious! But harder to get her to sleep.

Default Re: cat scratch fever!

My LO scratches and pinches also. I know how you feel, it is very frustrating and painfull. I have several little bruises on me from her and scratch marks. I find she does it more when she if fighing her sleep or she just realized she was hungry and is starving! I tried telling her no and that didn't work, then I would try to hold her hand thinking at least she will be doing it on my and and not my most tender spots, but that only made her mad. I know will touch her hand and tell her "no, that hurts mommy" and she will ease up. Hope you can find something that works for you, good luck!
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

Perhaps try to cut her nails every few days to cut down on the length of the "razors". I found I could only do a good job when the kiddo was fast asleep (To test, pick up a little hand and drop it--if she startles, it's too early. If she sleeps through, clip away!). Some people manage to clip when baby is awake. I was never so lucky!

Could try holding her free hand while she nurses? Or perhaps introduce a nursing necklace and teach her to fiddle with that, instead?

HTH!

I have the same problem with my almost 9 month old. It got really bad with the hair at 7 months and he still does it. Now he pinches my nipples and his nails are always sharp. If I say no in a stern voice he cries. He still does it anyways.

I wish I could help, but I need help. My poor hair takes a beating and my breasts.

Micah Mateo 10 months old
    And my angel Tyler born and passed 3/3/06

Same thing here, and DD is 10 months. The only thing I've found that helps is keeping her nails short so it doesn't hurt as much. She likes to scratch the back of my arm with her hand that's underneath, so long sleeves sometimes protect me, but I can't seem to get her to stop altogether.

Sorry I can't be of more help. I know how you feel!

yeah my son scratches and grabs at me constantly, and also loves to pull my hair.
    J

yeah, my dd's nails need trimming constantly- I found I have to make sure to cut the corners well, if I just cut straight across, the corners end up sharp. I also have a red cross nail clipper that has a magnifying glass on the end, that helped when she was smaller. Also agree on the waiting until they're sleeping or for mine I can sometimes cut them while she's on her boppy eating or strapped in her carseat if her daddy's driving.

DS does the same thing. He also goes searching for the other nipple. And when he finds it...... It really hurts!!