Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strike/solids/weaning . . . lots of Q's!

Default Strike/solids/weaning . . . lots of Q's!

Ok, so the saga continues! C is on day 6 of his nursing strike. For those who didn't read our post "So it's started (biting)" he started biting me on Saturday, got mad that I wouldn't let him and went on strike (he has had several). Most only last a day or so (one lasted 7 days, but he would nurse at night some for that one) this time . . . he has not latched once since Saturday!!! I finally took him to the pedi yesterday and he does have an ear infection and is now on an antibiotic. I am pumping, but my supply is dropping dramatically. So I am frustrated . . . needless to say and have a ton of questions! Thanks ladies for all the help you have been and continue to be!

He will not nurse at all, he screams and turns away when I have offered. I have no idea what to do.

First off, not only does he refuses to nurse, but he also refuses bottles, and the cup most of the time . . .I keep offering breast first then cup. occasionally he will take the cup (mostly at night and through the night. did I mention we had just night weaned!

I have been offering alot of solids . . . which he is eating. at this point, after 2 doses of an antibiotic . . . he seems to be even taking the cup a little better. this brings about several problems. 1) is he eating so much solids that he has no reason to drink the bm? (whether through nursing or a cup)? and 2) the only cup he is taking is the nuby which is basically no work, all he does is bite the top and gets it (this certainly is not going to help our biting problem) the few times I have gotten him close to the breast, he just bites me this is getting frustrating. surely after 10 months he would not have forgotten how to nurse!

Ok, so the pedi visit yesterday was a little frustrating. She has always been supportive of bf, but i can tell she is no ardent advocate! yesterday she of course mentioned that he could just "be done" I of course played a little dumb and said "really? I did some research and what I found said that if he weaned it would be gradual, but all of a sudden like this would be a strike?" to which she responded . . . "well I guess it all depends on what your goal is, do you want to get him back to bf?" (she asked this retorically, which was a good things bc I was fighting a big "DUH!" at this point!) she also said "what about just (giving up basically) and giving formula?" well, I already tried that "what did he do" What in the world did she think I was going to say, "Oh he loved it, but I decided to starve him and make him nurse" I told her he simply spit it out. he won't take it. Then she asked if I had tried milk. I just looked at her kind of confused, 'you mean cow's milk?" She said, yes. Of course not, I said. He is only 10 months. so, would it be ok to give a 10 month old cows milk? she acted like it was an option??? ok, so he really wouldn't be weaning right? I guess I just need reassurance on this. I really am not ready to be done

At this point, he is taking more in a cup, still not as much as he should be, but enough that my inabilities at pumping cannot keep up nearly enough, adn he won't take formula. what do I do? this will pass right?

Wow, I am so sorry about this super long rant! I hope you can even find my questions in that mess!!! I just feel clueless! Thanks LLL ladies!

Default Re: Strike/solids/weaning . . . lots of Q's!

Quote Originally Posted by ByGrace View Post

He will not nurse at all, he screams and turns away when I have offered. I have no idea what to do.
    That must make you very worried, and also very sad.

So he has an earache, so we know he's probably not feeling to good. I have read that certain positions can increase the pressure in the ear. What position are you attempting to feed in? Can you list everything you have tried in detail so I can see what you have done so far?

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    That must make you very worried, and also very sad.

So he has an earache, so we know he's probably not feeling to good. I have read that certain positions can increase the pressure in the ear. What position are you attempting to feed in? Can you list everything you have tried in detail so I can see what you have done so far?
    I have tried:

--regular cradle position (which is our usual)
    --sitting on my lap facing me
    --while walking around
    --lying down on the bed (on my side and with him lying on top of me)
    --in his room where it is quiet . . . in the living room

I have tried sitting the in glider where we usually nurse and just playing for awhile, tickling, playing peek-a-boo anything to get his mind off of it, then offering

I have tried getting him right out of his bed or wherever we are and going straight to the chair, acting like nothing was wrong and trying . . .

we have tried lying topless in my bed playing and letting him get sleepy and just having some skin to skin time . . . then offering

I have tried to stay relatively nonstressed about it in front of him, but it is hard.

i have tried teething tablets, orajel, tylenol, cold rags, teethers all before nursing

I guess that is what I can think of at the moment that we have tried . . .

Oh, I forgot to mention. Part of my semi panic today has been that i am out of EBM. My stash is no more. and I am pumping barely 1-2 ounces every 3 hours (I get around 5-5.5 first thing in the am) then normally 3 the next time and then 1-2 from there . . .

Can you remind me if you are separated during the day at all? Is this why the three hour pumping schedule? Can you decrease the time between pumping at all? Any power pumping yet?
    You have really tried quite a few things!
    What about the cup, what sort of flow, is it a regular cup , a sippy cup. Is he more willing to drink water from it than milk? What does he do when you spend time snuggling? How many teeth is he working on?

Can you remind me if you are separated during the day at all? Is this why the three hour pumping schedule? Can you decrease the time between pumping at all? Any power pumping yet?
    I am a SAHM, but I have a 2 year old as well and pumping is just hard to get to, iykwim? sometimes I have a hard time pumping every 3 hours adn go longer unintentionally. I can try to pump more . . . but honestly it just frustrates me. I hate pumping and can RARELY even get a letdown from it I have not tried power pumping. That is 10 minutes on, 10 off, 10 on, right? How often should I do this?

You have really tried quite a few things!
    What about the cup, what sort of flow, is it a regular cup , a sippy cup. Is he more willing to drink water from it than milk?

I have tried all kinds of cups! right now he is most willing to take the Nuby sippy cup (soft spout). Up until this, I had only offered a little water here and there in the sippy with meals just to help him get accustumed to it . . . this is the first time he has ever really had to "drink from it." he had a little water lunch . . . so before this strike he would only take water from the cup, now he is taking both . . . mostly bm

What does he do when you spend time snuggling? How many teeth is he working on?
    He will snuggle alot, more thatn normally actually. he has been quite the cuddler. That is why I really think he wants to nurse . . . he will lay his head on my breast or his personal fav, always have his hand in my shirt! or grab the top of my shirt and pull it towards him to snuggle. Occasionally it was like he "forgot" he was on strike and would move towards me like he was going to latch and then "remember" and pull back and scream. He is getting 2 top teeth in right now. poor guy!
    Last edited by @llli*bygrace; March 6th, 2008 at 02:59 PM.

This article is worth reading: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug01p136.html Essential it talks about mouth pain being a cause for oral aversion. When your baby was sick did he get a sore throat, any viral mouth lesions? Have you attempted feeding via a syringe? This whole teething mess could do it too.

It talks about re-establishing yourself as a source of comfort. I think we have spoken about co-sleeping before, but the article suggests keeping yourself as close to your baby as you can - all the time. This way baby become comfortable again.

I have a lot of sympathy for your situation. I have gone through the whole biting thing.

Power pumping is ten on, ten off, ten on. Do it once you milk flow slows. Do you feel like you get any let down at all? Do it after the let down is over and less milk is coming out.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; March 6th, 2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: power pumping

This article is worth reading: http://www.llli.org/NB/NBJulAug01p136.html Essential it talks about mouth pain being a cause for oral aversion. When your baby was sick did he get a sore throat, any viral mouth lesions? Have you attempted feeding via a syringe? This whole teething mess could do it too.

It talks about re-establishing yourself as a source of comfort. I think we have spoken about co-sleeping before, but the article suggests keeping yourself as close to your baby as you can - all the time. This way baby become comfortable again.

I have a lot of sympathy for your situation. I have gone through the whole biting thing.

Power pumping is ten on, ten off, ten on. Do it once you milk flow slows. Do you feel like you get any let down at all? Do it after the let down is over and less milk is coming out.
    He had a viral infection about 2 weeks ago and had a sore throat, but he actually nursed MORE during that time. Thanks for the article. i have been trying alot of that . . but i know since I am frustrated that is being communicated to him. Also, as far as the oral aversion thing . . . I feel as soon as we may get somewhere, and he will get his mouth close to the breast, he will bite adn I will either just pull back or tell him no biting (gently) he will scream and then won't come near for another few days. Also, another weird thing he has been doing . . .during our snuggle times, when things are good adn i am hoping he might latch he will pinch my nipple and then look at me as if to ask what am i going to do about it. I usually just either say gentle adn move his hand away or just move his hand away. either way it is like he gets upset and we regress just a little bit . . . strange, huh?

It is very unusual to have a baby wean rapidly- like during a strike. Because it isn't as if he is readily accepting other methods of drinking, or comfort, I say hang in there!

any luck?