Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how many meals a day? Question about 3 month old

Default how many meals a day? Question about 3 month old

My DS is 11 weeks old. His frequency of meals and time spent breastfeeding has reduced as he has gotten older. He spends about 20 minutes total (from both sides) at a time (if I am lucky). He now eats about 6 times a day with the longest stretches from 6-7pm until the morning time. Peeing, pooping, happy and content baby...BUT

I am concerned that the amount of times he eats a day. Yesterday he only ate 5 times!

I know that each baby is individual in his/her needs...Do BF babies eat even less a day and still gain weight/grow? Will this negatively affect my milk supply? I don't want him to lose weight...perhaps it is a growth spurt (with the increased sleep and naps). Will he eventually be eating to only a few meals a day (like 3 to 4)? That does not seem right to me...but I cannot find any information on how many times a BF baby should eat a day (after the initial newborn stage)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: how many meals a day? Question about 3 month old

As a baby gets older they get more efficient at emptying the breast. My dd can now completely drain me, both sides in less than 8 minutes. It is amazing!!

Watch your little one while they are suckiling and I'd bet you can see that they are chugging! Watch the output and as long as you are getting the right number of wet & dirty diapers you don't need to worry.

As for your supply, remember the laws of supply and demand rule! As long as you are readily available and baby is at the breast as often as need be your supply will regulate. You'll start supplying a greater quantity of milk less often as baby gets older.

As baby gets older they get more distracted and tend to feed less when there is more going on, if you are worried take baby in another room and see if they'll latch on for an extra feed here or there. Chances are you're due for anotehr growth spurt in a few weeks and the feeding will pick back up!

Hope this helps, a little bit.
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

My dd just dropped a nighttime feeding, so now nurses 6 times a day, occasionally 7. She eats about 8 pm, I give her a midnight snack, then she's good until she wakes up at about 7am. As long as she eats good in the evening, she won't wake up. I just make sure she has enough pees and poops; we're down to one massive poop per day!

I second the PP. Our DS is also down to 6-7 feedings a day b/c he's been sleeping so well at night now. DS is also having the one massive poop daily like the PP. It all sounds normal! I think we are so used to being tied down feeding our babies constantly that when it starts getting easier we question if something is wrong! This is the time that all those veteran moms were talking about when they said it would get better...

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

thanks everyone...I feel better. Like you said...I don't trust my instincts all the time.

Off to wake DS up and get him fed!

Thanks again - it helps a lot. Congratulations to everyone too...

NMom