Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting off..

Default Starting off..

I'm going to be starting my LO on solids next month, when he turns 6 mos. So far all he has seen is BM and I plan on EBF until he is 6 months old. Of course, I plan on continuing to nurse him until he's a year old.

I think I'm going to start him on cereal and try giving that to him around lunch time. Once that's established, I'm going to start him on the "salty" baby foods, then to sweet. I'm still going to nurse on demand, which now, it's still 8-12 times a day and I'm thinking of offering a cup to him when I offer him solids.

Like I said, I'm going to start him off with cereal at lunch time and then other foods and then I'll work him up to cereal at lunch and baby food in the afternoon as he gets older.

Does this all sound reasonable? I'm a FTM and I'm nervous and excited about this. Suggestions?
    Stephanie (23) Married to Troy (22) since August 2003
    Just welcomed our first baby into the world
    Our son, Caden Wesley born 10-10-07 at 1:00 AM via emergency c-section
    8 lbs 15 oz 19 1/2 in

SAHM

10-13---8 lbs 3 oz
    10-16---8 lbs 12 oz 20 3/4 in
    10-26---9 lbs 8 oz 21 1/2 in
    12-14---12 lbs 15 oz 24 in
    02-12---15 lbs 12 oz 25 1/2 in
    04-15---18lbs 6 oz 27in

Default Re: Starting off..

I don't know if I'd offer a cup with solids to start off with. I think it helped my keep my milk supply up not to offer a drink because then she would want to nurse after eating solids to wash it down. It may not be a problem for you, but that's what worked for me.

Also, you might not know that it isn't necessary to start off with cereal (though if that's what you choose to do, your plan sounds great to me). For some moms, particularly mom's of exclusively bf babies, Baby-Led Solids works really well. If you aren't familiar with it, here's a good article (it converted me, anyway):

http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...uidelines.html

Good luck and have fun whichever way you do it!! Starting solids is a really exciting step for you and baby, I know we had a lot of fun with it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I'm also a FTM with a 5 1/2 month old. The pediatrician suggested starting her on solids just for the taste-not the calories. So I bought a food mill to puree my own baby food for her. I feed her ONCE a day and in VERY small amounts. And I feed the same new food to her for about 4 days to see if she has a reaction to it. This is what she's tried so far:

So I pureed green beans. Not a big fan.
    Then pureed sweet potatoes. She gagged, I'm guessing from the strong flavor.
    Then pureed avocados. Actually swallowed a good bit. Mild flavor I guess.
    Then rice cereal mixed with BM. Didn't mind it at all.
    Now she's on rice cereal mixed with banana. SHE LOVED IT! YUMMY!

Maybe next time I'll try applesauce or pureed apples. Then pears. And then start to mix the fruit with rice cereal.

It's actually kind of fun to watch her eat "real" food.

Good luck!!!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

i also think that a cup of BM might not be the best of ideas..because more ends up on the shirt than in the mouth (still for my lo at almost 7 mo) I dont like to lose that much "liquid gold" So I offer a little cup of water (actually I use a cap to one of her bottles) just to get used to the idea of a cup with a meal and eventually water! If it is two swallow-fulls, thats a lot! Then I nurse or bottle feed EBM later on!

Otherwise I did a similar schedule - 4 days of each of the cereals, 4 days of each veggies, 4 days of each fruit!! only after that did I introduce a second meal at dinner time! mixing and matching!

HTH
    -Katie

-Wife to Joe 5-15-04
    -First time mom to Courtney Ann 8-12-07
    -Became a mom of 2: Brendan Joseph was born 01-08-09
    -Breastfed both of them for one whole year
    -Now a new mom of 3: Emily Theresa born 12-14-11
    -Breastfeeding again and hope to go the full year!