Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: New ?

Default New ?

How can you tell the difference between reflux and overactive letdown/abundance of milk ... my ped says its reflux but never explored the other possibility and i definately have a forceful let down and more than enough milk even @ wk 12

Default Re: New ?

I have zero experience with reflux, however I did have an overactive letdown. With that, when I would feel the letdown, my son would cough, choke, sputter, cry, let go, etc. Usually once we got past that part he would nurse ok. What got us through the problem was my leaning back a bit during feeding, allowing gravity to help slow the flow.

My DS has reflux. It affects him at other times not just when he's eating. B/f he was on medication he cried A LOT and was even diagnosed with colic. He would kick his legs vigorously, sometimes when he burped he would scream (as if fire was coming up his throat). He also got the hiccups a lot which I've heard reflux babies tend to get (more than non-reflux babies). Babies with reflux also tend to eat a lot of small meals b/c having a full tummy makes them feel worse. They also tend to spit up a lot and only want to be fed in certain positions.

HTH

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

well no relief yet so many possiblities and ped wont listen ... still trying to narrow everything down to find out what is wrong w/ my ds.. hopefully we will have fun nursing again soon right now it's nursing only while he's sleeping!