Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: fever/possible clogged duct

Default fever/possible clogged duct

My baby is 6 weeks old Friday. We have been nursing with no trouble at all. I really felt like I was making too much milk, because I had constant leaks. Yesterday afternoon I noticed my right breast was sore. I thought I had a possible clogged duct. I also developed chills and a fever which has lasted about 24 hours now. I have been using hot compresses and nursing more on that side, I don't feel any more lumps but today there is some redness. Also yesterday it was painful to touch which has gone away.
    In addition, we seem to have hit a growth spurt, she has been nursing about every hour 1/2 with only one poopie diaper all day (usually 4-5).
    Any ideas appreciated.

Default Re: fever/possible clogged duct

is there a red splotch of skin on your breast anywhere? if so its probably mastitis. I had the SAME thing about a week ago. I had the chills and a fever of 101.5. If this is so please call your dr and get the anti bitoctics. I JUST got done taking mine. and I'm all better! and just KEEP NURSINGGGGGGG!!!

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*

thanks-I was afraid to call the dr because they might put me on something that the baby couldn't have. Are antibiotics ok?
    yes-red splotches

Thel lack of poopy diapers might be a bit of dehydration. While youre LO is on an eating spree, I would bump up your water intake, and cut out any sodas or fruit juices for the time being.

As far as calling your Dr., never a bad idea, they won't give you anything that will effect your baby unless it is absolutely necessary.

no, the anti bioctics are perfectly fine for your LO. I would go see your doc JUST incase to be safe.. but yes, just nurse nurse and nurse her on that side. Make sure you do nurse her on the other side as well so you dont get it in that breast too, I just always started my LO on that side with the mastitis.
    with taking the meds, it took about 3 days for the red spot and pain to go away, and i am JUST finishing the meds today. but feeling perfectly fine

CAYLA
    Mama 2 Allie who Self-weaned @ 2 1/2
    Korben Jon born 07/25/2011*