Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I need to wake my newborn to eat?

Default Re: Do I need to wake my newborn to eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Off topic but kinda not. Seriously ladies, I'm impressed any of you can remember what you were doing with your 11 day olds

I could have had a troupe of dancing elephants in the living room twice a day for all I remember. That whole period is a blur.
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

I would ask your ped for recommendations. When my dd was born, she was 5lb 12oz and he wanted me to feed her every 2-3 hrs, and that meant waking her if necessary. She gained weight and was doing well and it wasn't long that he said okay to let her sleep at night in 4-5 hr stretches but to keep feeding her during day at 2-3 hr increments. I was new and nervous as well, but she was healthy and well fed! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    Off topic but kinda not. Seriously ladies, I'm impressed any of you can remember what you were doing with your 11 day olds

I could have had a troupe of dancing elephants in the living room twice a day for all I remember. That whole period is a blur.
    Too true. That's why I love looking at the newborn questions- it forces me to try to remember the early days!!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice! DS was 8 lbs 12 oz at birth, and I'm sure is over 9 lbs now, less than 2 weeks later. The last day and a half I haven't been waking him and he seems to be more efficient when he does eat, ie, I don't have to keep him awake as much and he doesn't take many breaks while chowing. So I like it

I do have one more question - anyone remember about how long it took for your supply to feel "regulated?" At times I feel slightly engorged, others it feels like I've got nothing at all. With my first I had a ton of milk too, always leaking and spraying until I switched from 2 breasts at a time to 1, but I can't really remember when things seemed to "even out." Just curious.

I believe I stopped having that super-full feeling after about a week...maybe even less. I remember worrying that I was losing my supply, but your not It takes a while though (about 3 months I'd say) for your body to really become regulated with your baby's needs, so it will probably go back and forth for a while, you'll leak more, etc.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09