Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to wake my newborn to eat?

Default Do I need to wake my newborn to eat?

I already posted about my 11 day old not nursing for very long (but gaining well and plenty of diapers), now I'm just wondering if I need to keep waking him every 3 hours during the day to eat. It's been 3.5 right now and he's still snoozing. I just want to make sure A) he gets what he needs, and B) I get my supply well-established. thanks!

Default Re: Do I need to wake my newborn to eat?

You may want to metion this concern to your doctor just to be sure but in my opinion if he's gaining well and having 6-8 wet diapers a day let him sleep. I doubt he will sleep for too awful long but a 4-5 hour stretch should be fine. You may also find that if he does a longer stretch that he will cluster feed during his awake times or feed more often. His nursing and sleeping patterns will change and vary so much in the upcoming months. Good luck and most of all listen to your mommy instincts.

I agree, I go by the motto: never wake a sleeping baby. As long as they are healthy, anyway.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

And I think the "rule" is once they reach their birthweight - you can let them sleep. That is assuming they're healthy, not jaundiced, you're not on meds etc.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My DD has ALWAYS slept 3-4 hours between eating, even in the hospital! Her weight never dropped, she was back to birth weight by 2 weeks and is still growing like a weed. Hopefully you got a good sleeper!
    since day 1 (Sept '07) !!! so Daddy can feed Mia while I'm at work! because we both love it!

I my Husband and Daughter!!!!

When my son was a newborn I never woke him for a feeding, even if he had been sleeping for 4 or 5 hours. We never had a problem and he is 7 months and 20 lbs now! If your baby is gaining and having the appropriate wet diapers then let him sleep, and take the opportunity for you to get some rest too!

J

See, weird. I think everyone's situation is different ...or at least their super-hot-"McHottie" pediatrician gives different advice. When we brought dd home, I was told to wake her every 2 hours for like the first 2 weeks, then after that, I could just set the alarm clock... and if she didn't wake to feed after 4 hours, then I needed to wake her up. Although, I also fed on demand as well! This carried on until she was at least 8 wks old! After that, I didn't wake her up anymore, per pedi advice.

Give your pedi a call, they are a valuable resource in those very early weeks!! They never mind you calling to ask questions
    I'm Jessi
    Proud mama to Breanah Grace 9/10/07, wife to Eric
    Happily, exclusively BF for 7 months

I don't think you have to...but we did. During the day I woke him if it had been 3 hours. I didn't want him sleeping 5 hours during the day and then being up all night wanting to play. I NEVER woke him during the night...EVER. During the day...at least every 3 hours or sooner and at night as often and he wanted me to.

That's my 2 cents

Off topic but kinda not. Seriously ladies, I'm impressed any of you can remember what you were doing with your 11 day olds

I could have had a troupe of dancing elephants in the living room twice a day for all I remember. That whole period is a blur.

With my first, we tried hard to make sure he ate regularly. Of course, he was awake and crying all the time, and he nursed every hour.

With the second, I just let him sleep. In fact, after he nursed himself to sleep an hour or so after birth, I let him sleep until he woke up much later that day (like eight hours later). That baby never ever lost ANY weight post birth. Not even an ounce. My ped was impressed. I felt a thousand times better. . . because I got more rest and was more laid-back.

Plenty of wet and poopy diapers, baby gaining weight. . . I wouldn't worry. The baby will wake up when he's hungry. Just feed on demand, as long as the baby needs to nurse.

ETA: I also didn't suffer from quite as much OS as I did with #1. I don't know if that's because I didn't push my supply by waking my baby every few hours to eat (he did nurse every 3 hours on his own) or what.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!