Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tried all I can try...:(

Unhappy Tried all I can try...:(

I just wanted to thank you guys for the tips and encouragement. My daughter has been supplementing for a week now and is finally gaining weight. She is now 10lb 1oz after 7 weeks with her birth weight being 9lb 7oz. I have tried everything I know how to...counselling, pumping, fenugreek, reglan, increased water intake, increased good fats, skin to skin, eating the daylights out of oatmeal, heat packs, warm showers, breast compressions...I could go on. I could not produce what my daughter was needing and when I thought I did she was still not gaining. With supplementing she is finally sleeping, smiling, and making noises of happiness and contentment. I tried pumping to keep up the supply and giving it to her as much as I can and she stopped wanting the breast she only would take to the bottle so I pump and pump and am drying up already. Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. I guess now my request would be prayers for me as a mommy that feels like no matter how hard I tried I could not give my daughter what she needed. God bless all of you and dont give up.

God bless,
    Melissa

Default Re: Tried all I can try...:(

Melissa, you are one TERRIFIC mommy. I am happy to hear your little girl is doing well .

I am so happy your LO is happy and healthy! Just by doing everything you mentioned, you ARE a good mama and she is very lucky to have you!
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I am a new mom just like you and I truly understand all that you have said. I remember crying when I found out my baby had lost weight and feeing as though I had failed. I just wanted to say that you gave it your all, don't feel bad hon. What is most important is that your baby is healthy and ha ppy. If you ever have another child, try again, maybe things will be different. But, don't ever feel bad for doing all you could to take care of that wonderful blessing God gave you.

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

How unfortunate that something so natural is sometimes so difficult It must be a good feeling to know your DD has a full tummy and is enjoying life!!!

Last edited by JeannieBean; March 5th, 2008 at 01:31 PM.

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

Just wanted to encourage you to keep giving baby breastmilk, which it looks like you are as some is better than none

Jeanne (my middle name IRL)

Mommy to two girls (M & M), born Sept. '07 and Sept. '09

You guys are so wonderful. I dont have any of my family or friends here with me so hearing these words from you all is so uplifting to me. I did want to mention that I did not have the greatest start. I was injured by the lactation consultant that "helped" me start off after my c-section. I dont want my situation to scare new mommies because I really think if I had this board earlier on with everyone's advice tips and encouragement I recieved and was not hurt I would have had a better chance. So you new mommies keep going you will do great I am sure.

I agree with the above poster, in that any breastmilk is great!!! See what you can do about continuing to give baby some
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

You just make sure to enjoy your little girl! Before you know it, she will be a toddler and you will wonder where your tiny precious newborn went!

you gave your dd the best start in life. And despite all the hurdles you're STILL giving her your BM . I'm happy to hear your lo is happy with a full tummy. Your dd was born pretty big...I always think it's harder when babies are born large because their stomachs are bigger and need more milk right away. That's just my theory.