Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping too much? Not eating enough? Help!

Default Sleeping too much? Not eating enough? Help!

I had posted this in the "Sleep or Lack of it" section but got no replies, so i figured I'd re-post it here, I apologize if this causes an inconvenience.

My 3 week old is starting to sleep through the night. Last night she slept from about 10pm till 3am, which is a long stretch for her. Some nights she will even go 6 hours. At this age is it okay for her to go this long without a feeding? I feel like I should be happy she sleeps at night so I myself can finally catch some zzz's, but I'm worried that she should still be eating every 2-3 hours like she had been.

Perhaps I'm freaking out over nothing (like I usually always am), but my LC's and nurses in the hospital drilled it in my head that a newborn needs to eat every 2-3 hours, at least 8-10 times in 24hrs and that newborns WILL sleep through hunger. I prefer to feed her on demand rather than by the clock, but I still catch myself watching the clock and timing how long its been since the start of her last feeding.

Can anyone help put my fears to rest so that maybe I can get some sleep? lol, thanks

Default Re: Sleeping too much? Not eating enough? Help!

Generally once your lo has regained birth weight it is okay to follow their lead on when to nurse. How many times a day is she nursing now? Sometimes if they go a long stretch during the night they will nurse more frequently during the day to make up for it.

i think that when they reach a certain weight, logistically, they can sleep through the night. i can't remember what the weight is, but by the time mine was 3 months he was that big. he slept through the night for a couple months til he started teething, then it was all over with!! so enjoy it while it lasts!!

She was 5lb 9oz at birth, dropped to 5lb 3oz in the hospital. As of this morning she is 6lb 15oz and 26 days old. She nurses anywhere from 7 to 9 times a day, it changes from day to day, and on average nurses for 15-20 minutes at each feeding. At her initial breastfeeding evaluation at 4 days pp, she took 50ml in 5 minutes on the first breast, and another 18ml in about 3 minutes on the other breast. I am now block feeding (i think? she eats from one breast per feeding, alternating breasts each feeding) because her poo started turning green and I was worried she wasn't getting enough hindmilk.

I guess her 5-6 hour stretches at night are okay considering her weight gain is so good and her wets/dirtys count is good as well.

I agree - you can let her sleep at night and enjoy the extra zzz's

How many times do you think she feeds in a 24 hours period?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

At 2-4 weeks my DS was sleeping 4-5 hours a night. Now I'm lucky if he sleeps 2 hours at a time. I say enjoy it while you can as long as she is gaining well... How I miss those days.