Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Totally confused - help please?

Default Re: Totally confused - help please?

I'd remind your sitter that every two hours is PERFECTLY NORMAL. Their stomachs are only as big as their hand, after all!
    ~~~~ ~~~~
    Iryssa(24), DH(27)

DS born Sept. 21 '07, 8.5lbs
    Nursed for the last time Oct. 20 '08

DD born Jan. 20, '09, 8lbs 14oz

http://healthymomnbaby.blogspot.com/
    http://www.xanga.com/iryssa

Quote Originally Posted by dashboardangel View Post
    Side note, should I possibly drop it down to 4oz in the bottle and see if he's on the same every 2 hour schedule?
    I would suggest staying where you were at. Your baby was satisfied before, and you seemed to feel that 5 oz was a bit too much for him.

As for the frequency, every two hours is normal. Breastmilk digests quicker than formula AND his little tummy is only the size of his fist. Normal, normal, normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole's Mom View Post
    I have had this question for a long time - how much EBM should I be packing to the DCP. I usually pack a 9 ounce bottle and a 4 ounce bottle but they are FULL so its more than 13 oz. And, I always have extra there as well. Someone mentioned an amount for the PP age. Where do you get that from?
    Breastfed babies don't increase much in their intake of total ounces after the first few months. If your baby seems satisfied, no need to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole's Mom View Post
    I have had this question for a long time - how much EBM should I be packing to the DCP. I usually pack a 9 ounce bottle and a 4 ounce bottle but they are FULL so its more than 13 oz. And, I always have extra there as well. Someone mentioned an amount for the PP age. Where do you get that from?
    My LO is 5 months 2 weeks and I don't know if I'm packing enough. I always tell the DCP to feed on demand and when I get home I nurse on demand as often as she wants. She doesn't want the cereal yet so she is EBF. Am I ok? Should I be referring to a chart to increase the EBM that I pack for the DCP?
    The rule of thumb that worked for us is that baby needs 1 to 1.5 oz EBM for every hour away from mom.

So if you and baby are apart for 8 hours - that would be 8 to 12 oz of EBM.

The amount of EBM a breastfed baby needs doesn't really change as they get older. You may find that baby can take more at a feeding and go longer between feedings.

When my DS started at day care at 3 mo, he was taking 2 or 3 oz at a time. When he was older, we switched to larger bottles and he was taking 5 or 6 oz at a time. But his total always stayed in that 1 to 1.5 oz per hour.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)