Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally confused - help please?

Default Totally confused - help please?

I called my DCP this a.m. to see how LO was doing. She was telling me how he was on his second bottle and made mention of how he's "still eating every two hours."

Am I doing something wrong here? On Monday, I raised the amount of EBM in the bottle to 5oz, only to come home to a baby who seemed way too full to nurse and honestly seemed stuffed most of the night. So, Tuesday, I dropped it back down to 4 1/2 oz, because I feel that's all he needs.

DS seemed less than enthusiastic to nurse this morning. He got about 15 minutes of good sucking in, and then refused the breast anymore, but kept opening his mouth wide like he wanted some more. He wasn't fussy or anything, though, and I'm on a limited time (because DH has to drop off DS by 6:30 and we didn't wake up until 5:30) so I just sent him off.

By 9:40, when I called, he was on his second bottle (usually the 2nd bottle doesn't happen until 10:15 or 10:30), and like I said, she made mention of him "still eating every two hours.'

And ugh, I'm so confused. Everything I read said 5oz is probably too much for a 3 month old and I know they aren't just feeding him to shut him up because they are constantly telling me he's only fussy when he's hungry and he's a great self-soother. So I feel like, if I raise it up to 5oz, he's not going to nurse much at all in the evenings and I'm going to have more and more problems with getting him on the breast.

Please give me advice on what to do.
    Mom to Ricky, born 11/28/07, 8lbs 8.5oz
    13lbs by 2/12/08!

in the morning, @ work and again @ night!

to

Default Re: Totally confused - help please?

I would tell your DCP not to give a bottle within 2 hours of your expected arrival. That way he should be ready to nurse when you pick him up. Babies get milk faster from the bottle and may start to develop a preference for the faster flow. Are you using slow flow nipples? You may need to replace the nipples if the hole starts to get bigger. Have you introduced a pacifier? You don't have to but your baby may want to suck (they have a strong suck reflex) and since he is getting milk faster from a bottle than he does when he nurses he may just want to suck. It sounds like he is getting a lot during the day and cutting down on what he gets in the evening. Babies typically take on average 25 ounces of milk per day (some take more, some less). This is nursing plus expressed bm. How many ounces is he taking at daycare?
    Mom to Lainey (11-8-06)

I agree with the pp. It's possible they are overfeeding him. Check to be sure your nipples are slow flow and that they aren't worn out. I'd also ask them to try to hold off feedings when it is almost time to go. Sometimes they'll have to give the bottle anyway, but if they are any good they will make an attempt to distract baby- rocking, bouncing, a paci or whatever- before resorting to a feeding. They could also try giving just a small amt if it is almost time for you to pick baby up and he's really desperate to eat.

Do they deal with breastfed babies often? It doesn't sound like it. It is normal for bfed babies to eat every 2 hours, since breastmilk digests much faster than formula. I'd tell them that, it sounds like they think it is abnormal.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

On average, DS will have 3 bottles of 4 1/2 oz (so, 14oz) and then I'll come in during lunch and feed him. Then he'll nurse 2x that night. If I don't come in to nurse him, he'll have the 4th bottle, and so he'll have 18 1/2oz that day at DC.

We do have slow-flow nipples but I will change them out and see if that works. DS won't take the pacifier ever since he found his thumb.. He just sucks on his thumb and fingers now.

I guess all I really want to know is, is it NORMAL for him to be eating a bottle every 2 hours? His pee output seems great, but in the past week he's only had one poopy diaper a day.
    13lbs by 2/12/08!

to

Side note, should I possibly drop it down to 4oz in the bottle and see if he's on the same every 2 hour schedule?
    13lbs by 2/12/08!

to

It's normal, don't worry. If you want you could try decreasing the amount per bottle, with instructions that if he still seems hungry to give him more. My dh did this when he was staying home with lo. He'd give a 4 oz bottle, then if she fussed he'd fix another 2 oz, which she rarely finished.

Keep in mind, too, that their appetites fluctuate quite a bit, so what's normal will vary from day to day, week to week. I wouldn't worry too much about days when he doesn't eat as much or days when he wants to eat more unless it goes on too long (follow your instincts and keep growth spurts in mind) or diaper output decreases dramatically or something like that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

OK, one last quick note .. How can I tell if a nipple is worn out, or if it's REALLY slow-flow? I've heard that sometimes a nipple can SAY slow-flow and not really BE slow-flow. So, is there some sort of test I can do..?
    13lbs by 2/12/08!

to

Put some water in a bottle and drink from it yourself. If it seems like it is coming out too fast, try a new nipple. That's what my sister, who ff, did when she had to get faster flow nipples. HTH

Tina - mom of Addison Belle
    12/11/07
    5lbs 13oz - 18in

and my VBAC ~ Olivia Grace
    9/12/09
    6lbs 8z - 18.5in

I have had this question for a long time - how much EBM should I be packing to the DCP. I usually pack a 9 ounce bottle and a 4 ounce bottle but they are FULL so its more than 13 oz. And, I always have extra there as well. Someone mentioned an amount for the PP age. Where do you get that from?
    My LO is 5 months 2 weeks and I don't know if I'm packing enough. I always tell the DCP to feed on demand and when I get home I nurse on demand as often as she wants. She doesn't want the cereal yet so she is EBF. Am I ok? Should I be referring to a chart to increase the EBM that I pack for the DCP?

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

There is a milk calculator here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

But honestly, I never did know how to use it. Since I nurse on demand, I'm never sure how many times a day LO eats so I never know what to put in the box that requests that info.
    13lbs by 2/12/08!

to