Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DS Threw up-from OS or Chocolate?

Default DS Threw up-from OS or Chocolate?

Last night after BFing DS, DH was holding DS & DS all the sudden threw up. It came straight out & all over DH! DS had no fever as his under arm temp was 98.3 & he is not sick at all. So, could this be from OS? Maybe not enough of hind milk & had too much other milk? Few days ago he seemed as if his tummy hurt like he had to poop or had gas or something & was a bit fussy & he burped a few times then spit up & was fine then. After throwing up last night, he burped a little then had hiccups awhile. Both those times I had chocolate & normally I don't b/c of my hypoglycemia. Could it be a reaction to the chocolate? Never had our two other LOs throw up like that so young. He's only 12 days old. Any ideas? Oh, thought might be chocolate also b/c he keeps wanting to nurse but fusses some & pulls on & off my breast at first. Has a face as if tastes is funny. But he also spits up some b/c of OS as well. So, I am confused with him throwing up.

Default Re: DS Threw up-from OS or Chocolate?

Hi ,

Oversupply and allergies can both have similar symptoms. Other than spitting up, does your baby have any other symptoms? Usually, a mother who has oversupply will notice some symptoms in herself, too: engorged breasts, excessive leaking, milk "spraying" when baby pulls off the breast, sometimes even plugged ducts or breast infections. Do any of these symptoms sound familiar to you?

If it was the chocolate, the simple way to tell would be to not eat chocolate at all for a couple of weeks and see if the symptoms improve.

The sticky at the top of this forum has some great information on how to determine whether or not you have oversupply. Check out the "Allergies" forum for more information on food sensitivities.

Hang in there!

Tiana

Yes. I have OS symptoms. Have had reoccurring plugged ducts & had mastitis already. Seems to be doing a little better lately though. Had OS with my first two LOs as well but didn't know that was it until this time around. I have been nursing on same breast for 2-3 feedings if he wants to nurse soon after just finished. Otherwise he chokes & gives up for awhile. Also nurse DD first some times before DS & that helps too. DS has also been pulling back on my nipple as he nurses some times. Other LOs did that too. I only get about 2-3 let downs in one feeding instead of 3-4 so it has been a bit easier on him but he still has difficulties. Has gassy, explosive more watery type diapers as well. Night goes good b/c I am laying down with him & he sleeps longer inbetween feedings & has seedy poopy during the night/early morning. I will look over the info on the sticky you suggested. Thanks! Claire

I am now working w/ local LC & DS is suffering from reflux from my OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire View Post
    I am now working w/ local LC & DS is suffering from reflux from my OS.
    so what are you doing about it?
    ive been to the dr's & i might have the same, they dont know yet.

nak

block feeding. still have several let downs at one feeding.

still tandem nursing dd 2 1/2 yrs old. some times nurse dd first then baby. have one breast worse at let down & spraying.

occassionally cabbage leaves in bra to reduce supply.

started muslin swaddle wrap yesterday after feedings & ds seems content & goes to sleep in it rather than trying to nurse to sleep & getting upset. sleeps longer w/o wanting to eat so soon. seems more happy & less pain today.

sucks on my finger some to calm but wrap is working best.

use brest friend nursing pillow helps some.

lay down to nurse.

staying in contact w/ LC to find other comfort measures than feeding him. ds was 9.04 at birth & 11.07 at 18 days! monitoring ds's weight gain due to OS.

I was going to say reflux too, as my baby (three weeks old) has been doing the exact same things and thats what was suggested to me as well.

We haven't been to the doc yet but are going monday. In the mean time I have just been feeding in small amounts more often, rubbing his back, trying colic water and ovol gas drops..he seems to maybe be a little bit better but its still there.

Thankfully he is a very calm baby and is taking all of it very very well.