Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby doesn't want cereal...

Default Baby doesn't want cereal...

Hello
    I posted about a month ago as my pediatrician recommended that I start cereal. My LO is 5 months and 2 weeks old. I started about three weeks ago but she didn't like the Gerber kind. So, I went online and found a recipe and made my own from brown rice. It doesn't seem like she is interested. I can put stuff in her mouth but it isn't like she wants it. Over the weekend, she choked when I tried once. I got scared! And, I just don't know what to do? Should I put it off some more? She isn't sitting up unassisted. She doesn't roll yet. She wakes up at night for feedings which I don't mind. I work full time but I pump during the day and EBF when I'm with her. I just don't want to slack off and for that reason have her be behind on anything.

Do you think it was the cereal she doesn't like? I even put a sliver of banana and mushed it up with it and breast milk but nothing. I even think the banana caused her to choke b/c it was thicker.

Please help.

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

Default Re: Baby doesn't want cereal...

It sounds to me like she just isn't quite ready for solids yet. Can you remind us why your pediatrician recommended starting cereal? Is s/he concerned about weight gain or just thought it was time to start?

If there is a weight gain issue, maybe you can just try to encourage more nursing to increase intake rather than solids. If the ped just felt it was 'time to start' I think it would be ok to follow your instincts and wait if you don't think baby is ready.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I agree with pp. Solids during the first year are more about learning about food and not so much about nutrition so I wouldn't stress it. Don't force her if she is not ready

I went back and looked at your initial post about starting cereal. I think you would be fine to stop and wait a little while before trying to start solids again if that's what you want to do. It doesn't sound like she's showing any of the signs of readiness and her weight seems fine (based on the weight/clothing size from your initial post).

Follow your instincts, mama, they'll rarely lead you wrong.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by NorasMommy View Post
    It sounds to me like she just isn't quite ready for solids yet.
    We also started rice cereal two weeks ago and well Avery is not ready.

Kimberly Mommy to Landin and Avery

------------------------------------------

Thank you. I am a first time mom and you know everyone is giving me advice. The pediatrician just suggested I start cereal but not because of her weight. She is now weighing 18 pounds. I guess I will wait some more. I am trying to look at all the cues from her and I just don't think its time either but I second guess myself alot especially when everyone is telling me how they are feeding solids to their little ones.

I'm going to wait until 6 mo before starting again. Thanks for reassuring me.

Mommy to a princess, Isabella Sofia, born on 09/24/2007 and a prince, Lucas Gabriel, born on 08/04/2010.

Who fed me from her gentle breast
    And hushed me in her arms to rest,
    And on my cheek sweet kisses prest?
    My Mother. -Anne Taylor
    and (at work)

all of the major health organizations, including american academy of pediatrics, recommend waiting until at least 6 months of age before starting any solids. Sadly most pediatricians seem unaware of that fact. My son, who is 7 months old, spits out every solid food we have tried. I guess he's just not ready! I have found that there are lots of other mommies on here too whose babies take a little longer to get the hang of the solid food thing. I think if your baby isn't keen on the solids thing, don't push it. We just keep offering our son food and I figure when he's ready he'll eat. I think if we force our babies to eat, then we have a greater chance of having one of those kids with lots of food hangups. just a theory.

J

Quote Originally Posted by jewelsf View Post
    all of the major health organizations, including american academy of pediatrics, recommend waiting until at least 6 months of age before starting any solids. Sadly most pediatricians seem unaware of that fact.
    DS's Dr said to start when he was 4 mo (which would be 3 mo corrected!) and we didn't. Sometimes you need to follow the advice of the medical establishment and not the average DR. It's like sometimes they don't bother to learn anything new after they're done med school!

Quote Originally Posted by Tadpole's Mom View Post
    The pediatrician just suggested I start cereal but not because of her weight. She is now weighing 18 pounds.
    Sounds like she's certainly not starving , way to go mama
    Mellie
    mama to
    DS June 2007
    DD1 April 2009
    DD2 April 2011