Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 months old and ferocious appetite

Default 6 months old and ferocious appetite

My ds is 6 months old. We started solids a few weeks ago. I had wanted to wait until after his 6 month birthday, but he just seemed so hungry! He weighs 14 lbs.

I am nursing him 9-11 times a day. This morning I gave him 1/2 cup of pureed barley and pears. He cried when it was gone. This afternoon I fed him about 2 tablespoons of avacado. In the evening, he ate a 2.5 ounce jar of sweet pototaoes mixed with 1 tablespoon of brown rice cereal. He cried when it was gone.

Should I be worried about his appetite for solids? It seems like a lot! Our doctor thought I should give him as much as he wants, as long as I am not cutting back on the nursing at all.

Default Re: 6 months old and ferocious appetite

I think your Dr is probalby right. So long as you're nurisng before offering solids and so long as he's not cutting back on his nursing or having fewer wet diapers or hard, dry poops, then it's ok to give him as much solids as he wants. My guess is that it's not so much as a hunger thing as that he really likes the taste and expirence of the solids; they're new and they're fun! Which is good, because during the first year, that's exactly what solids are suppsed to be.

If you're concerened that he's eating too much, consider letting him self-feed most or all of his solids. That way, he'll probably eat a little less but have more fun and learn even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Feorsteorra
    If you're concerened that he's eating too much, consider letting him self-feed most or all of his solids. That way, he'll probably eat a little less but have more fun and learn even more.
    I'm glad someone else feels this way!! We let dd self feed around 6 months and though it can get QUITE messy she became a very proficient eater quckly

How do you allow them to self feed with pureed foods? Just let them use their fingers? I'm curious because DD always seems to want to help.
    Amber
    Mommy to Bridget (12/20/05) and Brady (9/6/07)

My ds loves to "self" feed. He eats wagon wheels and frozen bagles. I myself am not sure what else I can give him but I am sure he would LOVE some more self feed foods. When I am feeding him cereal he usually takes the spoon in his hand, so I will help him scoop it out of the bowl and guide it into his mouth. He LOVES getting to help. I have slipped in a couple of other things to see if he would like it and he instantly went to grab it and put it in his mouth. We just started solids right now we have had avacados, sweet potatos pea.
    He does the same with water bottles. DH and I are almost ALWAYS drinking from water bottle. DS will hardly drink from a sippy cup, but always wants to drink from our cups.

Thanks everyone for the support. I worry a lot since he's so slim.

I tried giving him puffed rice cereal to self feed. He attempted to eat 6 pieces. 3 were successful, LOL.

I have thought of taking fruit (cooked apples or raw bananas) and rolling it in baby whole grain rice cereal so it wasn't too slippery.

It sounds like he's having fun with self-feeding.

If you're worried about his weight, make extra sure solids aren't replacing breastmilk. The only age-appropriate solid that actually has more fat and calories than breastmilk is avacaod; pretty much everything else has far less fat and calories. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html He might enjoy small chunks of soft avacado that he can practice picking up to feed himself.
    Last edited by Feorsteorra; July 10th, 2006 at 11:06 AM.

My son was the same way with solids. We started him on solids at about 5 months. I originally planned to wait 6 months, but he kept grabbing at everything we were eating. He hasn't stopped since. The kid loves to eat. Until he was about 9 months old, I would always nurse first and give solids second. As far as good, soft finger foods go... ds loved diced avocado, well cooked whole wheat spiral pasta in small pieces, broccoli florets, well cooked green bean pieces, shredded/cubed cheese, any kind of diced fruit, green peas, black/kidney beans that I mashed slightly between my fingers and crackers. A whole wheat cracker could keep him occupied for what seemed forever.

I would LOVE to give ds some more finger foods, like the avacado and diced fruit, but I am afraid of him choking on it. How do I know he will not choke on the food? How big do the pieces need to be? He already tries to shove the whole wagon wheel in his mouth.

most breastfeed babies have a good gag reflex.. I would say try some sizes and see how he does. I cut things into small peices and for things that were hard to chew like meat Iput in the grinder.
    good luck