Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: constipation????

Default constipation????

not sure if this is where I should ask or not, my DD is 8 months old and she seems to be constipated. She had 3 really good movements on friday and then nothing until Monday night or should I say Tuesday morning at 3am. She has been trying to go and then gets upset. At 3 she had just finished nursing and let out a scream like I had never heard before. I looked in her diaper and nothing. I decided I would change her anyway to try to make her more comfortable and during the time she tried again only to (and this sounds gross) try to squeeze some the size of a golf ball out - NO wonder she was screaming. My husband and I actually had to help her get it out, I felt so bad for her because she doens't understand what is going on. Since then she only gone a little and they were basically pebbles. Has anybody else went through this or have some ideas on what to do. She has had prunes, a little bit of apple juice (she doesn't like apple juice), a little bit of white grape juice, karo syrup, warm baths, and we have even put warm towels on her belly. She seems to be okay until she tries to go pooh! Please help!
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

My Lilly Bug is offically 1!

trying to quite but still

Loving & & ing

Default Re: constipation????

dr sears has some good info:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T081100.asp

at 8 months too it would be ok to cut out all solids untill babies poops are beter and then slowly re-introduce solids.

are you giving rice cereal?
    that can cause constipation.

no she doesn't haven't any cereal, she never cared for it so I didn't push it. The only solids she has had from Friday on are green beans, carrots, applesause, prunes.
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

Loving & & ing

it might take a few days to get things moving beter!

yep cut back or cut out the solids for a while until she gets going again- bm is a natrual laxative. Hope she feels better soon!

We've been dealing with that lately too..I read on Dr. Sears that you can give your lo 1 tsp flaxseed oil a day and that will help keep things moving. Plus its good for them (omega 3 fatty acids)...

We tried it and it works!

I am so excited by dd finally went! She had 2 really good movemets yesterday afternoon at the DC and another one last night. That made her feel so much better, she was moving all over the place and trying to get into everything!!!! Thanks for all the input, I have made some notes so if it happens again I know what to try and what some others have done!!

My Lilly was 8 months yesterday - YIPPIE!!!!
    Jen 30 ~ wife to Gary
    step-mom to 12 yo Hayden
    mommy to 1 yo Lilly

Goals:

We made it 1 YEAR!

Loving & & ing