Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Growth spurt- not making enough milk to feed baby??

Exclamation Growth spurt- not making enough milk to feed baby??

Hello everyone....

I'm dealing with some issues that I really would appreciate your help with:

My DD is 4 weeks old and for the past 2 weeks she's been feeding quite frequently and hardly sleeping. During the day she might sleep for 30 min here and there, then want to feed, then within an hour, feed again, etc , etc. She hardly sleeps during the day (she'll take perhaps two to three 30min-1 hour naps), but at night she might go for longer 2 hour stretches.

With this frequent feeding, I don't think there's enough time to make more milk for her. My breast feel quite soft throughout the day. When I put her to my breast she will drink for a few minutes and then start to get frustrated , pull on the nipple and stretch it, cry, squirm, open her mouth as if she wants more milk etc.
    Am I making enough milk for her...it doesn't feel like it. My doc suggested that I supplement with forumla.

Could this be a growth spurt...but do they last this long??? ...it's been 2 weeks like this with the frequent feedings?? Please help!

Are her frequent feedings not giving me enough time to make more milk for her?

She seems to have the right number of soiled and wet diapers, and she has gained a little more than a pound in the last for weeks.

Very worried here.....

Penny

Default Re: Growth spurt- not making enough milk to feed baby??

I can understand that you're concerend but I'll bet everything is a-okay.

The best indicator of what baby is taking in is the amount that is coming out

Here is a link to help you determine if she's getting enough. (Here's one for after 6 weeks old)

If, indeed she is getting enough (which means you're making enugh ), here's another link to help you with that fussiness during a nursing session. Oh and here's one on growth spurts
    Keep us posted
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Penny, what you're describing sounds very typical for this age...if her diaper output and growth is good, sounds like all is well. Those are the best indicators.

Soft breasts (not like they were when your milk first came in) are also quite normal. If she is trying to increase your supply, the addition of formula would only prevent that from happening.

Congrats on your new baby and successful breastfeeding!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Penny

Sometimes growth spurts can hit back to back aswell, so they feel neverending.

Are you feeding on demand (ie. not scheduling when she nurses)?

Just because your breasts feel soft it does not mean that they are empty. Your breasts are constantly producing milk. Because shes eating so much, you may not feel engorged or "full" but the milk is still there. If you squeeze your nipple when she isn't nursing, are you seeing milk?

Have you tried using breast compressions to keep her interested in the milk flow? Some babies get frustrated after let-down when the milk slows down. What if you switch her to the other side?

Watching her diapers is a good way of seeing what shes getting.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Hi..thank you for your reply

I did try breast compression but I"m not sure if they are helping. Switching her to the other side sometimes helps. Yes, some milk droplets do come out if I squeeze my soft breast.

So , some follow up questions then.......

1. When my DD is attempting to feed at my 'very' soft breasts it is normal for her to get frustrated...is she really going to feed well?

2. Is her lack of sleep during the day (due to the increased feedings) normal and healthy for her??

Thank you very much!

Penny, keep in mind that your breasts being soft is not an indication that you don't have enough milk. Hardness is basically "storage". I can oftentimes shoot someone in the eye from my "soft" breasts.

Try burping her between switching sides to see if the frustration is also caused by gassiness.

I know it feels never ending and there are times where you feel that they aren't getting enough but as pp said, good output is a good indication of good input.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

1. When my DD is attempting to feed at my 'very' soft breasts it is normal for her to get frustrated...is she really going to feed well?
    It really sounds like she is frustrated when the letdown slows down. I would try breast compressions until she refuses, then switch sides. You can continue switching sides until she is done.

2. Is her lack of sleep during the day (due to the increased feedings) normal and healthy for her??
    During growth spurts my son would refuse naps (wait a minute, he did that even when he wasn't going through a growth spurt ) But after the growth spurt he would sleep a lot! Like 3 hour naps sometimes. Which for this kid, was a miracle. So I guess it all balances out. Its also not always about food when it comes to sleep. Sometimes when they are going through a developmental change their sleep (and your sleep) suffer temporarily.

These first few months are full of changes. Just when you figure something out, baby throws something new at you. But don't worry, you're doing great so far and its only going to get easier.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)